Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
TravisC
    Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:54 pm

I've been stick welding for a while now and have been trying many different rods. When my dad first set me up with my welding equipment, he had a large stockpile of rods that he gave me. The best by far are the ones labeled "Nassau Tartan-B". I am running low on supply and looking to restock, but I can't find them online anywhere.

Does anyone know if they are even still being made? Are they under a different name now?

Thanks for the help!

-Travis
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Post a pic. Especially if they have colored dots. That will help identify them if there listed under another name.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308

Josh
TravisC

Poland308 wrote:Post a pic. Especially if they have colored dots. That will help identify them if there listed under another name.
Tried emailing that company asking if they sold it and haven’t gotten a response yet.
Attachments
4174BCCA-6766-4D56-BE54-1284B263A45B.jpeg
4174BCCA-6766-4D56-BE54-1284B263A45B.jpeg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I prefer to stick with AWS identified electrodes. You know they will always be around.
Poland308

I’m betting that response time will be a bit slow due to all the work shutdowns, cov19 and what.

Josh
TravisC

Still looking, and found a few people selling other Nassau Rockmount rods, but not the Tartan ones. All the sellers are second hand and I can’t seem to find any retailers, so I am worried I won’t be able to restock. In the middle of a project and would really like to get my hands on a few pounds as the results are really good with the Tartan-B. None of the other type of rods I have been trying seem to work that well.

Based on what the weldit website says about Tartan-B, do you have a suggestion for a different rod to try?
Poland308

Post up a picture and some specifics of what your working on.

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

snoeproe wrote:I prefer to stick with AWS identified electrodes. You know they will always be around.
Quoted for truth.

TravisC, take note. ;)
TravisC wrote:Based on what the weldit website says about Tartan-B, do you have a suggestion for a different rod to try?
I think it depends on what you're trying to weld. In general for stick, Lincoln Excalibur 7018 in the sealed tube is tough to beat, if you're welding various carbon/mild/A2/etc steels, 6010/6011 (if your machine will handle it) for dirty stuff and/or root passes, 6013 is not bad for general purpose...for general all purpose the Excalibur is pretty good in my book. However, there is one caveat to them, and that's they are low hydrogen and as such for code work need to be kept in an oven to keep the moisture out. Tons of people use them for non-code work and don't keep them in an oven, they work fine.

What type of metal are you welding?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
TravisC

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
snoeproe wrote:I prefer to stick with AWS identified electrodes. You know they will always be around.
Quoted for truth.

TravisC, take note. ;)
TravisC wrote:Based on what the weldit website says about Tartan-B, do you have a suggestion for a different rod to try?

I think it depends on what you're trying to weld. In general for stick, Lincoln Excalibur 7018 in the sealed tube is tough to beat, if you're welding various carbon/mild/A2/etc steels, 6010/6011 (if your machine will handle it) for dirty stuff and/or root passes, 6013 is not bad for general purpose...for general all purpose the Excalibur is pretty good in my book. However, there is one caveat to them, and that's they are low hydrogen and as such for code work need to be kept in an oven to keep the moisture out. Tons of people use them for non-code work and don't keep them in an oven, they work fine.

What type of metal are you welding?
Mostly 11 gauge steel tube and angle. Building a large outdoor kitchen with 4 cook stations. All the welds are on steel, the cook stations using stainless and aluminum are fabricated already and going to be riveted into the steel frame (makes them easier to pull out if the fail down the road). Probably about 3/4 done.

I’m a creature of habit, I find something I like and try to stick to it, and I love those Nassau Tartan-B rods. Really strong clean welds for me. Im definitely experimenting with other rods for the long term, but I was really hoping to find a few pound of it to finish this product, and I can’t exactly walk into Praxair and ask them right now...

Thought it would be relatively easy to find 10# of it online or retail somewhere, especially since it looks like Rockmount is still making it. But, I can't find it anywhere.
TraditionalToolworks

TravisC wrote:Mostly 11 gauge steel tube and angle. Building a large outdoor kitchen with 4 cook stations. All the welds are on steel, the cook stations using stainless and aluminum are fabricated already and going to be riveted into the steel frame (makes them easier to pull out if the fail down the road). Probably about 3/4 done.
That helps, you could use several different rods for that. 7018 would probably be my choice but takes a bit to acquire the start technique.
TravisC wrote:I’m a creature of habit, I find something I like and try to stick to it, and I love those Nassau Tartan-B rods. Really strong clean welds for me.
I'm reluctant to recommend anything given you're 3/4 done with your project. I would probably recommend sticking to something you can get easily.

You should get a lb of 6013 and see if it works ok or you. If not, get a pound of 7018, but the really good 7018 is the Excalibur and requires a 10# purchase as it's in a sealed tube to keep it fresh. I like the look of the 7018 bead, but that's my preference. :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

I’d suggest 7018 as well. All position rod, common and easy to find, 3/32 for stuff that’s thin like 11ga.

Josh
TravisC

Well, I finally found it. They still make it and it sells for $201.63 per 11# box for the 3/32 Tartan B. Seems pricey, but with the results I have been getting with the stuff I'm getting a box.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

What are you using for a welding machine?
If these rods are so hard to come by, it’s time to go with a different electrode that’s more readily accessible. An electrode that works with your welding machine.
TravisC

Well, the project turned out all right! Mostly 11 gauge Square tube and Angle turned into something very nice!
A0082B76-0A9D-49ED-BBFB-01A242C27319.jpeg
A0082B76-0A9D-49ED-BBFB-01A242C27319.jpeg (64.98 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
20B68800-1164-4F48-AB36-E0B4BFBF066C.jpeg
20B68800-1164-4F48-AB36-E0B4BFBF066C.jpeg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

nice one
tweak it until it breaks
TraditionalToolworks

Looks great Travis, I don't think it would matter if you had to pay $200 for some Tartan-B rod, I bet you wife is thrilled! :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Really nice. You're gonna have some fun times there.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'