Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
UniqueTouch
    Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm

Hey guys. I have been trying to weld 4 inch pipe schedule 40. I have been trying to put a root pass in. I did a 1/16 gap and a 1/16 land. I have a ranger gxt 250. still not sure of the settings so i took a 3/32 6010 rod and put it on 60 amps about i would get going and than blow through pretty shortly after. I would than start from another tack and try it again and i would be able to go about an inch or so before the key hole just got out of a control and I couldnt do anything but bust a big hole through it. Was so frustrating i wanted to spank somebodies hiney. The spots that I was about to run it for a tiny amount the root was pretty flat. If anyone can give me some help on fitting and rod sizes and settings and why this keeps happening besides me not having a clue what to do. I need teaching. I pray schools start again sometime soon I would def like to learn.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

3/32 gap 1/8 inch land. 1/8 6010 @ 70amps. Work it in quarters cause sch 40 gets hot fast, you need to let it cool between rods.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
UniqueTouch

Hey Poland thank you so much. Do you recommend me getting some schedule 80? if so do you have any idea on cost. Ill buy some and cut it up need be. I was able to get some of this pipe from someone but been hard finding some so prob gonna have to buy it.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Can't help you with the welding side, but if you need pipe slices sent to you, I can get pipe in all sizes around here. Min you would need to buy is 10ft. I can cut it on the bandsaw, then perhaps Priority Mail since you can pack up to 70lbs in a box, lol.
UniqueTouch

also looking for information on which stinger you guys like best for pipe welding. I stinger vee which i live but wondering if I should use another type while i am at my beginning stage.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sch 80 will help but 120 would be better, and more like what you would be welding on for a test.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... roduct-ads

These are pretty standard on any job site.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
UniqueTouch

thank you