Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
JDP
  • JDP
    Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

I am relatively new to this trade in comparison to many. Been welding for four years now. I have a rig together and have been doing any and all kinds of work I could get my hands on during high school and now I am currently getting an Associates degree for welding technology. Being young has definite disadvantages when scoring a job in a skilled trade like welding. Many employers don't want to give you a chance because "we" are the generation that "knows everything". For everyone who is young or even just new to the trade, Do not be discouraged. Be HUMBLE! Humility will bring oppurtunities for feedback and advancement. If you don't know how to do something, ASK. Dont pretend you know how, if you really don't. Your lies will find you out. I am not at all saying you should not Be confident in your own abilities and have pride in your work. Strive to make every cut and weld a little bit better than the last one. All in all, be honest, be humble and never act like you know it all. Success will follow. Besides being humble does not prevent you from being capable of outwelding the guy running his mouth. In fact, I would say it increases your odds.
Food for thought...... How can you learn anything if you know it all?????
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Wow, that's a great little spiel. I reckon the points that you mentioned are absolutely the most important traits to poses. I don't give a damn if a person can't do something, if they are willing to learn and have a good attitude, I have the time to help them. You would get a run in my shed. (If i had one, lol :D )

On the other hand, young cocky punks who smart mouth people who try to help them make me want to throw them off a building.

Keep up the great attitude and you'll get your chance.

Kind Regards
Mick
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

cant tell ya how many times i've had a 1st, or even 2nd or 3rd year apprentice come up to me and think he knows everything. So ill say ok, go install this line, ill install this line over here.

You may know everything that book or instructor can teach ya, but you can not teach experience. thats were humility comes in.

Didnt really figure that out till i was a journeyman though :p
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Rbeckett
    Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 am

Being a humble, teachable soul has many benefits. You have discovered one of the many. When I was much younger and knew it all I suffered from the "fine, do it your way" treatment from the old timers and really had a struggle to achieve them minimum standards. After I learned that I did not know anything and asked for help and humbly applied my self the old timers took me in and taught me all kinds of things that made my life easier and way more productive. They even stuck up for me when I would get tasked over my head and help me get those projects done. So a little true humility and a humble teachable demeanor will pay your dues faster and you will learn more in both the short term and long run. Just remember that what you learn from others is that what you will pass on freely to the newcomers as time goes on,. The info you learn is not really yours but meant to be shared freely with any one who needs help. Kinda the whole circle of life and Karma thing rolled into being a welder and a productive member of society and the world.
Bob