Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I've had a long day so I' didn't quite study this whole arctical like I should've. But what jumped out at me was Table 4. Am I misreading or misunderstanding, or is at least that artical and study suggesting that when a 7018 is moisture contaminated, be it left outside for long periods or even gotten damp. That storing it overnight at 300F, or even for a period of days or weeks at less than that. Will have the equivalent effect of the MFG suggest reconditioning process of baking the rods at 600-700F for 1 hour?

http://www.weldfabtechtimes.com/article ... 018-1-h4r/
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It’s relative. If 7018 is exposed to moisture long enough (shorter time than one might think). Then the iron powder in the flux will begin to oxidize ( rust). When that happens you can’t cook it clean.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Thank you. I hadn't thought of the oxidation problem. Guess I need to burn 15 plus lbs. I need the hood time anyway.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have 1/2 of a 50 lb can that got wet at work. Started to rust. You can see the rust spots in the flux. Brought it home and I’ve been welding all sorts of average stuff with it, still works fine. Won’t use it for any high pressure stuff, but lots of lawn implements and general brackets, trailer tie downs and stuff.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

sbaker56 wrote:I've had a long day so I' didn't quite study this whole arctical like I should've. But what jumped out at me was Table 4. Am I misreading or misunderstanding, or is at least that artical and study suggesting that when a 7018 is moisture contaminated, be it left outside for long periods or even gotten damp. That storing it overnight at 300F, or even for a period of days or weeks at less than that. Will have the equivalent effect of the MFG suggest reconditioning process of baking the rods at 600-700F for 1 hour?

http://www.weldfabtechtimes.com/article ... 018-1-h4r/
No - Table 4 is about the testing of a weld - it is not about reconditioning electrodes.
The test specimen confined within its isolation chamber is held at the hydrogen evaluation temperature as per the following details.
TABLE4
hydrogen test conditions.png
hydrogen test conditions.png (89.84 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
Hydrogen moves through steel faster at higher temps.
That is the reason the test specimen is done being tested faster at the higher temp.

Specifically - no - holding electrodes at lower temps for a longer period is not equivalent to the correct reconditioning temp for the correct amount of time.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.