Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
dwarrenk
    Fri May 22, 2020 1:51 am

I got my Sears/Craftsman Arc Welder (Model 113.201331, mfg. in 1976) back after my dad died. ( I bought it, but he used it) Someone, over the years, added a longer electrical cord. Before I turned it on, I took the welder apart to clean all the years of dirt, cobwebs, etc. on the inside... & also to give the outside case a new coat of paint. On the replaced electrical cord... it was hooked up as: the red wire was grounded to the welder case, the black wire went to one side of the on/off switch, the white wire went to the other side of the switch. Normally, the green (or white) wire is ground on a 240 VAC, & the red & black wires are the hot (120 VAC per side, 240 VAC across) I looked for a schematic or manual for this welder online... no luck. After a good cleaning, I added a new male plug on the cord.. then hooked up the welder (inside) as follows: White wire to the case (Ground) the red & black wires (hot) to the On/Off switch (in the male plug, white was used as ground, red & black were hot.) I used a 50 amp receptacle from my distribution box & 50 amp plug (using red & black as hot from a 60 amp breaker & green to the grounding buss). When I turned on the welder, loud noise & quickly popped the breaker. What is wrong.... the red wire (Usually hot), I know, should not be grounded to the welder case (as it was when i got the welder back... without a schematic... I am not sure how to hook it up.. can anybody help? anybody have a manual or a repair manual?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Your going to need a schematic. Colors of the wire is irrelevant.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Vendor 113 is Emerson for Sears products.

Not sure who they may have outsourced it to, I don't think Emerson made welders, but not sure.

Here's one on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craftsma ... 4287399308

Maybe one of the old timers will recognize it and know what company made it.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

That one on eBay looks like what my father in law is still using. He got it new prior to 1978.