Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
iamkl00t
    Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Hi all, I am new to welding and have just bought a Starweld 190 off a friend. There's no manual and I can't find anything online for it. Can anyone advise how I might find settings to use?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

From the pictures I easily found on Google Images, it looks like a pretty simple stick welder.
  1. Hook up the work clamp to the black terminal.
  2. Hook up the stick stinger to one of the red terminals (it appears to have a high-voltage DCEP terminal labled 70V, presumably for cellulosic electrodes like E6010 or E6011)
  3. Turn it on to 240V (after having supplied 240V to it)
  4. Turn the main knob in the middle to adjust your amperage based on rod diameter, and to a certain extent base material thickness until you obtain the necessary puddle size/characteristics.
iamkl00t

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. It was the rod diameter vs amperage chart I was missing... is there a generic formula I could follow or are they specific to each?

Yup, lots of charts on Google Images. That's where I found mine. There is very little conflicting information about that sort of thing.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

There are indeed a lot of charts on the Internet, but something to keep in mind is that most all welders are just slightly different in how they handle specific electrodes, and you'll need to fine tune that for your specific welder.

Quite a bit of difference in some stick welders, so just keep that in mind.

In general 1 amp per .001 is a good estimate and in the case of stick welding it's based on the actual size of electrode.

60 amps for a 1/16" electrode, 90 amps for a 3/32" electrode and 125 amps for 1/8" electrode is a good ball park guesstimate.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:There are indeed a lot of charts on the Internet, but something to keep in mind is that most all welders are just slightly different in how they handle specific electrodes, and you'll need to fine tune that for your specific welder.

Quite a bit of difference in some stick welders, so just keep that in mind.

In general 1 amp per .001 is a good estimate and in the case of stick welding it's based on the actual size of electrode.

60 amps for a 1/16" electrode, 90 amps for a 3/32" electrode and 125 amps for 1/8" electrode is a good ball park guesstimate.
except for cellulosic electrodes.
iamkl00t

Thank you guys... I will be using E-6013... I've found the charts so I will give it a go... one last question... how do I choose between the 48v or 70v setting on my welder? what sort of application would be required for each? thank you so much guys
TraditionalToolworks

iamkl00t wrote:Thank you guys... I will be using E-6013... I've found the charts so I will give it a go... one last question... how do I choose between the 48v or 70v setting on my welder? what sort of application would be required for each? thank you so much guys
Well, I honestly am not sure what you're welder even looks like, a quick google brings this image up, is this what you have?

If so it looks like you unscrew the red knob and remove the lead and attach it to the other post after loosening that knob. Before you ask another question, yes, you need to screw the knob back on to secure the lead. :P

Or is this a trick question you're asking because you have a different welder?

You might try asking your friend you bought it from. :roll:

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
iamkl00t

yes that's my welder... not a trick question, just a noob question! just didn't know when you would use 70v vs 48v sorry I'm so dumb... just a complete beginner
TraditionalToolworks

iamkl00t wrote:yes that's my welder... not a trick question, just a noob question! just didn't know when you would use 70v vs 48v sorry I'm so dumb... just a complete beginner
Well, it looks pretty simple...you can choose the post you want your lead connected to and the black knob is for your ground cable. Then all it looks like you do is turn the center dial for how many amps you want.

Do you have a helmet?

Do you have gloves?

Do you have a leather jacket/sleeves?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
iamkl00t

yep got all the safety stuff... you see the issue is if done loads of research on MIG which is what I was planning to get, then a friend gave me this which I want prepared for as stick seems quite a bit different! Hence all the dumb questions....

Would you use the higher voltage setting for more delicate work? Ie to lower the amperage?

iamkl00t wrote:Would you use the higher voltage setting for more delicate work? Ie to lower the amperage?
Oscar wrote:From the pictures I easily found on Google Images, it looks like a pretty simple stick welder.
  1. Hook up the work clamp to the black terminal.
  2. Hook up the stick stinger to one of the red terminals (it appears to have a high-voltage DCEP terminal labled 70V, presumably for cellulosic electrodes like E6010 or E6011)
  3. Turn it on to 240V (after having supplied 240V to it)
  4. Turn the main knob in the middle to adjust your amperage based on rod diameter, and to a certain extent base material thickness until you obtain the necessary puddle size/characteristics.
Voltage is not the same as amperage. (Amperage is presumably controlled by the big knob). Thats a whole 'nother discussion. For now, rest assured that 48V will run E6013, E7014, E7018, E7024, and perhaps some E6011's, but no guarantee. 70V will also run those electrodes, but it's not necessary and will reduce the duty cycle of the machine. It is primarily for running Cellulosic electrodes like E6010's and sometimes needed for some E6011's.
iamkl00t

thank you
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

iamkl00t wrote:Thank you guys... I will be using E-6013... I've found the charts so I will give it a go... one last question... how do I choose between the 48v or 70v setting on my welder? what sort of application would be required for each? thank you so much guys
as guys have mentioned above,
however i will add one thing. if mem serves me right, welding voltage goes down as amps goes up (and vise versa) with transformer machine. so you may need the high voltage setting when running high amps.
most packets of rods will have OCV written on it, thats the output voltage needed ie the 48v or 70v. so if the packet says 68v ocv set the machine to 70v. (this only applies to transformer machines)

best way is to use low voltage setting until you have problems with arc going out.
tweak it until it breaks