Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jtornabene
    Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am

125A 7018 1/8”
109A 7018 1/8”

Should I be using a larger rod? Slower speed?

I am still struggling to watch the puddle while seeing where I am headed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Slower speed. Looks like your really close.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jtornabene

Thank you.
Would rod angle make much difference?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I'll go out on a limb and say pretty much everything makes a difference. You have to practice any and all "questions" you come up with, so you can see the effect.
Poland308

Yes rod angle on 7018 is pretty forgiving you can push or pull it. It’s an all position rod. But arc length is much more critical to getting it to run right. Most common things I’ve found that create undercut with 7018 are, 1 not getting off the mill scale, 2 to fast of travel or not holding the sides long enough if your weaving, 3 long arc, 4 way too hot of amps for the thickness of metal or position of weld. It takes a little bit to get used to looking through the slag and trusting that the weld is doing what you think it’s doing. How thick was the steel? And was it beveled, and roughly what degree of bevel? Was it an open root , and was there land.

Josh
jtornabene

Poland308 wrote:Yes rod angle on 7018 is pretty forgiving you can push or pull it. It’s an all position rod. But arc length is much more critical to getting it to run right. Most common things I’ve found that create undercut with 7018 are, 1 not getting off the mill scale, 2 to fast of travel or not holding the sides long enough if your weaving, 3 long arc, 4 way too hot of amps for the thickness of metal or position of weld. It takes a little bit to get used to looking through the slag and trusting that the weld is doing what you think it’s doing. How thick was the steel? And was it beveled, and roughly what degree of bevel? Was it an open root , and was there land.
The steel is 1/4” plate cut at 90 degrees and is an outside corner weld.

Thanks for the responses.

jtornabene

Poland308 wrote:Yes rod angle on 7018 is pretty forgiving you can push or pull it. It’s an all position rod. But arc length is much more critical to getting it to run right. Most common things I’ve found that create undercut with 7018 are, 1 not getting off the mill scale, 2 to fast of travel or not holding the sides long enough if your weaving, 3 long arc, 4 way too hot of amps for the thickness of metal or position of weld. It takes a little bit to get used to looking through the slag and trusting that the weld is doing what you think it’s doing. How thick was the steel? And was it beveled, and roughly what degree of bevel? Was it an open root , and was there land.
The steel is 1/4” plate cut at 90 degrees and is an outside corner weld.

Thanks for the responses.Image

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

The shape of your ripples is the dead giveaway for me. Vee shaped ripples always mean you traveled too fast. Slow down, and give the puddle more time to fill in. If your weld is horizontal, pause a little longer on the top side of the weld and add more metal there to fight the pull of gravity.
Multimatic 255
Poland308

If it’s only 1/4 inch metal I’d be running 3/32 at about 80 amps.

Josh
jtornabene

Poland308 wrote:If it’s only 1/4 inch metal I’d be running 3/32 at about 80 amps.
Would you expect to make two passes to fill it with 3/32?

Poland308

No one pass.

Josh
jtornabene

Single pass with 3/32 7018. According to my amp gauge (which I think is wrong) I’m running 106 amps. I can’t keep from sticking striking the arc below that. I held longer on the top to try and fill in.Image

Poland308

Yeah your amp gauge is off looks like about 40 amps off. Give it 5 or 10 more and that weld bead will smooth out. Side note. If your long arcing then you need more amps then someone who holds close. But long arc usually leaves lots of spatter. I’m not seeing that. Slow down just a bit more with the same settings .

Josh
jtornabene

Poland308 wrote:Yeah your amp gauge is off looks like about 40 amps off. Give it 5 or 10 more and that weld bead will smooth out. Side note. If your long arcing then you need more amps then someone who holds close. But long arc usually leaves lots of spatter. I’m not seeing that. Slow down just a bit more with the same settings .
5 more amps and a little more patience. Holding the top twice as long as the bottom.

TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

That looks much better!
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

Definitely better. Just more practice from here.

Josh
jtornabene

Thanks for the tips! I have struggled without any mentoring other than you tube.

BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Have you ever considered a wire brush on a grinder and remove even the slightest bit of all that dirt you're welding through?