Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
9rpcrowe
    Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 am

I just got some Lincoln Electric 6010 ++++ rods about 5lbs from the local welding shop they came in a 50lb tin and I tried welding with them yesterday and my arc was terminating while I was welding. I had an 1/8 in rod at 130 amps DCEP.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

What machine are you using? Not all modern inverters are capable of running 6010.

Also, 6010 rods require a particular "motion" (whip and pause) to prevent the deposition from snuffing the arc.
9rpcrowe
    Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:24 am

I am running a transformer machine Vulcan Commander AC DC 225/150. And its my rod that quits burning after a few seconds I'm trying to keep as short of an arc length as I can. I didn't clean the metal I was working on cause I was just running beads on it to see how it welds
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Might be your technique. 6010 rods deposit rapidly and the flux can snuff your arc. Have you had this issue previously?
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

https://youtu.be/7RLMw9d0rqE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

classic symptom of a machine that does not have enough arc voltage to keep the 6010 rod lit. Unless you've already done it successfully before. But otherwise if it snuffs out with just the tiniest increase in arc length, bingo you found a machine that can't run 6010.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Oscar wrote:classic symptom of a machine that does not have enough arc voltage to keep the 6010 rod lit. Unless you've already done it successfully before. But otherwise if it snuffs out with just the tiniest increase in arc length, bingo you found a machine that can't run 6010.
For a nominal extra cost, my Dynasty runs em just fine. :lol:
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

9rpcrowe wrote:I am running a transformer machine Vulcan Commander AC DC 225/150. And its my rod that quits burning after a few seconds I'm trying to keep as short of an arc length as I can. I didn't clean the metal I was working on cause I was just running beads on it to see how it welds
sounds like OCV is to low and probably the transformer size is to small which gives low welding voltage.
however one thing to check is the voltage of your mains power. transformer machines require good mains voltage and decent sized power leads and mains circuits.

good inverters will self regulate to a degree so they are not so susceptible to mains voltage drops.
just another reason why new transformer machines are rare these days.
tweak it until it breaks
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Try Lincoln fleetweld 180. I know it’s a 6011 but it’s designed for low ocv machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Lincoln 6011s run great, but I really like the Böhler Fox 6011's!