Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
dooleykevin70
    Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 pm

2g done today 1/2 inch material 60 degree included bevel 1/8 hobart rods 1/4 inch gap root was done at 130 hot pass an fill 135 cap done at 115. Photos are in order of process following common arc wps ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LGL455DL using Tapatalk
FWE
  • FWE
    Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Fun! Love me a bit of stick welding thick section. Interesting to see a sequence, so used to seeing it then doing a drawing, might have to start adding photos..

Looking good though. Just practice?
dooleykevin70

Yes practicing before taking test in summer ordered about 15 sets of plates an backing strips using each twice than running practice beads on each set once it's used up

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Looks good.

Any reason you added that 5th cap bead? Its hard to tell from the photos but it looked like you were done capping after the 4th.
dooleykevin70

Still had the edge of bevel to consume after 4th bead

dooleykevin70

Im having trouble now with using 1/8 rod on 3g so having to adjust to 3/32 rod to do all tests as whatever rods you first use according to the common arc testers you have to use thru the whole test. So now trying to find gaps to use smaller than 1/4 to allow easier fill on each test piece

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

GOtcha, ya 3/32 is much easier to run 3g.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

dooleykevin70 wrote:Yes practicing before taking test in summer ordered about 15 sets of plates an backing strips using each twice than running practice beads on each set once it's used up

Can you just stick em in a bandsaw and cut the welds out, leaving two more pieces to test with? I do that with thin aluminum sheet I practice on, stick it in the shear and chop the welds out and I"m back welding it again.
dooleykevin70

I use a grinder with cutting blade to cut each coupon in two as well as backing strips allowing me to get two runs per coupon

Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

We do a 2G in heavy plate for D15.1 but are required to place a stop-start in the middle of the root pass.

Its always a fine line between filling the groove and excessive reinforcement.

The worst part for me is getting impatient to start the next stringer then my work gets too hot.

Cheers, Alan
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Hard to see all of 'em on my phone, but that root pass looks nice !!
dooleykevin70

Thank you