Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Avid
    Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Hello everyone, I’m in the process of making a little half-ton rig for some smaller innercity maintenance and repair jobs where bringing my full rig isnt always feasible because of space restrictions. I went to my local shop and decided between 2 machines the 260mpx and the 305g. Originally I was going to go with a vantage 300 but figured that extra weight would wear out the half ton.

The 260mpx is being offered at $6500(CAD) whereas the 305g is being offered up at $7500. Now is there any reason other than wanting the space and weight savings from the new design to go with the 260mpx? Both machines will more than fill my needs for it. Something keeps pulling me to the 260mpx but the 305 is just too great a value??

Which option would you guys go with and why?
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Hard call. The MPX is newer and there is the old wisdom that you should let the manufacturer sell it for a few years to work out the kinks before buying one. The MPX is definitely out if you need to do carbon arc gouging (may not matter on a half ton. how much compressor are you going to have on it?)

The 305G is a generator linked to a motor. Kind of old school and not much in the way of electronics on it. The MPX on the other hand is electronics heavy and much more like an inverter generator. The screen and controls are similar to the controls on the Lincoln 210MP welder. lots of electronics. They both have the same Kohler engine. I think it comes down to tastes, but I would go with the 305G, especially if it is the EFI. Less stuff to break, no carburetor issues. Plus I would want the extra amps/higher top end for for things like dual shield and metal core wire welding.
Multimatic 255