Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
JustGus
    Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:34 am

After buying and chopping up some rebar for a project, I’ve learned that not all rebar lends itself to welding. The rebar I’ve got is 16mm and stamped with “KD D500N”.

Can anyone advise whether this is suitable to stick weld? And if so, am I better off with 2.6 or 3.2mm rods? Thanks in advance.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I just buy whatever the local suppliers have, if I need rebar. I've never had a problem laying a bead on them. TBQN, the best person determine if it is weldable (aside from the manufacturer :D), is you since you already have it, and you already have a stick welder and rods. The side of rod would depend on the diameter/size of the rebar, but I would think you could do plenty damage with 2.4/2.6mm rods. Unless you happen to need to weld 19mm+ diameter rebar. Take a few pieces, cut them to size, weld them up, beat them up with a sledgehammer. Pretend they stole money from you. :lol: If it holds, then it would seem (to me) that they are weldable.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I'd ask what you're doing with it. If its critical don't even bother trying would be my stance. If you're putting it in concrete twist it.

If its art, burn it.
JustGus
    Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:34 am

I bought it to make a kindling cracker, used to break firewood down with a sledge hammer.

I did it today and it works great. Thanks for your comments. Got me off the fence, as I was thinking about waiting and stopping by our steel supplier tomorrow.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Awesome, glad that worked out for you!