Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
cashiusclay97
    Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Bought a millermatic thunderbolt ac 225 arc welding machine. Runs great here’s the problem I have to weld T-Joints on some thin metal today like 1/16 and be using similar thickness rod any tricks so I don’t punch holes in it?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Just curious, what is your base metal and what rod are you using?
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
cashiusclay97
    Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Sorry, every time I pose a question I always leave out critical info. The rod is 1/8 6013 but unfortunately I have to run it AC. As for the 1/16 base metal I’m clueless, more than likely mild steel. I ran a bead last night on some scrap of similar thickness with a slightly obtuse angle cleaned it off and it looked like hell but I did stand on it both sides and bounced around on top of it so that’s good but the thing is what I’m welding cant fail or else someone in my family could get injured. Thanks in advance.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Might be an over kill for that thin metal. Can you get a smaller rod? I would think the heat you would need would burn right through that metal. Smaller rod less heat. Would be better I think.
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

MIG or TIG would probably be better for 1/16" but like you, I don't have a MIG or TIG. For such a weld I usually use 1/16" or 3/32" E6013 and weld in stages. For example, weld a 1" section then move about 2" ahead and weld another 1" section. Then clean the welds and add another 1", etc. This prevents the piece from getting getting entirely molten and blowing a hole. I prefer 3/32" to 1/16" as the 1/16" seems to "burn off" at irregular angles. Also, the 1/16" seems to vibrate a bit causing more irregularity. If I do use 1/16" in a tight spot I cut the rod in the middle to make two short rods.
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304