Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Ilocher
    Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:06 pm

I recently installed a 50 amp 240v outlet in my carport for my lincoln 225 AC/DC, I plan on doing 95% of all my welding out there. I am currently keeping the lincoln in my house and hauling it outside everytime I want to weld, I would rather just keep it out in the carport, but I would like to put it in some sort of lock box I can anchor to the concrete pad that would also prevent moisture from getting in there. Are there any space clearance requirements or heat dissipation requirements for this? Does it need to be exposed to the open air? I know I could get a cart to move it back and forth but it's going to be used in the same spot almost all the time anyway.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Not for storage if the machine's fan has run its cycle.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Ilocher wrote: Are there any space clearance requirements or heat dissipation requirements for this? Does it need to be exposed to the open air?
If it stays in the box during use with (say) its barn doors open it will need clearance for cooling but I don't know the actual requirements. I assume the gas bottle is in the box too for security so depending on the size of the bottle, it is a fairly big box. Don't make it for a small bottle though because you will inevitably want a bigger one.

What about closing in the carport instead? Then you won't have to wait for a calm day to weld.

Jack
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Should be fine outside under the carport. Just make a canvas cover that can be removed when using it, or build a box cover that can be removed when you want to use it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

One thing to watch out for is if the machine is colder than the dew point of the area you move it to will potentially cause condensation to collect on the inside/ circuit boards. Not good. I’ve had this happen when you bring a machine into a warm building after it’s beed stored outside in a cold truck in the winter. And a second time when we were welding in a refrigerated plant for a few days, we took it outside I. The summer to finish up the last few welds. Condensation smoked the components.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

There isn't an easy answer to your question. For one, we don't know what sort of weather you have to deal with, and that will make a big difference. If you live in an arid climate, the welder should be fine in a carport. If you live somewhere with a lot of humidity and/or large temperature swings it may not be a great idea as you'll get corrosion inside the welder. Also, concrete draws moisture to anything resting on it, so I'd be concerned about that as well.

The best solution might be to make a little cart for it and keep it inside when not in use....a little bit of angle iron, a couple of casters and you're set.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Ilocher

Jack Ryan wrote:
If it stays in the box during use with (say) its barn doors open it will need clearance for cooling but I don't know the actual requirements. I assume the gas bottle is in the box too for security so depending on the size of the bottle, it is a fairly big box. Don't make it for a small bottle though because you will inevitably want a bigger one.

What about closing in the carport instead? Then you won't have to wait for a calm day to weld.

Jack

Sorry I should have specified, it's a 225A stick welder, so fortunately the wind won't be such a huge issue and I won't have to worry about bottle storage space.
Ilocher

Poland308 wrote:One thing to watch out for is if the machine is colder than the dew point of the area you move it to will potentially cause condensation to collect on the inside/ circuit boards. Not good. I’ve had this happen when you bring a machine into a warm building after it’s beed stored outside in a cold truck in the winter. And a second time when we were welding in a refrigerated plant for a few days, we took it outside I. The summer to finish up the last few welds. Condensation smoked the components.
This is a great point, I wasn't even thinking about this. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm in Ohio so I'll have to pay attention to this during the winter. I wonder if having a storage box outside that I could wheel it in and out of would be a good response to this issue that could come up.
Ilocher

cwby wrote:Should be fine outside under the carport. Just make a canvas cover that can be removed when using it, or build a box cover that can be removed when you want to use it.
Good point that goes with what other people are saying, thanks.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I’ve got the same machine since 1998. It’s spent it’s life in a cold garage in N NY cold wet and nasty climate. Mine came on a small wooden shipping platform so I left it on that. Eventually I made a small wooden cart to keep it on sitting on 4 tiny HF steel wheels so I can roll it around. They do get nasty dirty inside as I’ve found out from everything blowing around. Try to keep a cover over it that goes all the way to the floor if you can as it helps a lot. I blow mine out with the leaf blower and compressed air through the vents when I think of it too.
You’re going to find it will need opening up and cleaning I bet evert 10-15 years. The selector switches like to get so sticky you chance breaking them changing amps or polarity. They also tend to get intermittent or stop working on your most used position because of corrosion . Expect those if you start having issues . The same goes for the electrode clamp, dirty, loose. I’d love to store it in the house like my Handler and plasma cutter during winter months.. It’s just too darned heavy
There’s a great instructable on how to tear down and refurbish these. Save it you’ll love it .
My big gripe in 23 years is the leads are not jacked but hard wired making disassembly a PITA as well as too short. I added 12’ leads at the ends of my wimpy modern ( cheap) leads with connectors. Were I to do it again I’d find a way to install jacks in the box itself to make it easy to store and deal with .

https://www.instructables.com/Refreshin ... tone-weld/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Ilocher wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:22 pm I recently installed a 50 amp 240v outlet in my carport for my lincoln 225 AC/DC, I plan on doing 95% of all my welding out there. I am currently keeping the lincoln in my house and hauling it outside everytime I want to weld, I would rather just keep it out in the carport, but I would like to put it in some sort of lock box I can anchor to the concrete pad that would also prevent moisture from getting in there. Are there any space clearance requirements or heat dissipation requirements for this? Does it need to be exposed to the open air? I know I could get a cart to move it back and forth but it's going to be used in the same spot almost all the time anyway.
Just build a box frame out of 2x2 pine, slap some 1/4" plywood on it, paint it or a weather barrier even tar paper for roofing, cut up some Hardie plank and nail that on, or just build a steel, stainless or aluminum one. You can buy louvers (in and out flow) from a hardware store for a fan (vent covers for central heating or just vent covers for a roof) personally I would wire an outlet after the switch in the welder so when you turn the welder on it turns on the fan, but that's me. Hinges, a door handle and a lock. If you have bees or ants make sure you use a screen material on any louvers to keep them out since they love the buzz. You could even buy some panel connectors and run the lead and ground to wherever you like so you can put the welder wherever you like (mind the length of wire, too far and you will lose amps).