Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Ilocher
    Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Planning to use 5/64 6013 on some 22ga sheet metal, I would like to weld consecutive lap joints on a flat surface and then forge the whole piece into a cylinder afterward. Will the 6013 welds be able to deform as well as the sheet metal, or will attempting this fracture all the welds.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Ductility is a materials rating dictating how well it can be drawn into wire. Elongation is what you are looking for.

There is no way to tell with the information you are giving. The bend radius will have a major impact, as well as the final cross-sectional area. Care to disclose more information?
Ilocher
    Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:06 pm

Oscar wrote:Ductility is a materials rating dictating how well it can be drawn into wire. Elongation is what you are looking for.

There is no way to tell with the information you are giving. The bend radius will have a major impact, as well as the final cross-sectional area. Care to disclose more information?

Drawing a material into wire is one application with ductile material, ductility is broader than that. Elongation is a capability resulting from ductility.

regardless. You're correct I haven't been clear enough. I want to take a bead about 1 inch in length on a lap joint with 2 pieces of sheet metal 22ga. thick and flex it concave toward the weld side about 20 degrees. If i had to take a guess on the bend radius it would be about 3 inches. I have no clue what the k factor of a 6013 bead is
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

As long as the radius is not so tight that the bend occurs immediately adjacent to the weld, you should be fine. The weld is not at all likely to fracture, but the heat effected area of the sheet metal near the weld will be more brittle.

Bend slowly in steps. That's my advice.