Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Saad Afzal
    Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm

Hello everyone.... hope everyone is OK.
I am looking for specific standards/codes or guidelines which contain information about travel speed. Most precisely value or range of travel speed. I need this information for my postgraduate research. I am using SA 572 grade 50 plate and thickness is 20mm. Hope experts will help me in this regard. Thanks
    Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Saad,

AWS D1.1 gives you some prequalified WPS information in section three. For grad school work, I would recommend that you get a copy of the standard* and spend at least half a day looking it over. Draw a few conclusions and then review separately with a skilled welder and a weld engineer.

You need to define a lot more information about your joint in order to get down to the level of travel speed. I don't see AWS including a table of suggested travel speeds.

Cheers, Alan

*my 2006 edition is 532 pages of joy and section three runs from page 84 to 120
Saad Afzal

thank you for ur reply.... yep i have seen various prequalified WPS in AWS D1. 1. For single V groove butt joint, it is mentioned to use E6010 for root penetration and E7018 is used for hard pass, filling and capping. However when we performed an experiment on 20 mm thick plate, it has been revealed that same travel speed cannot be achieved in SMAW. It is because of two kind of passes i. e. stringer vs weave. We cannot maintain same travel speed due to different nature of these passes. So i am skipping out travel speed as variable for my research as it doesn't suit my research and analysis criteria. I think this is one of the reason that there is no range of travel speed for SMAW and only for semi or fully auto welding.. SAW, GMAW etc
Thanks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I think the only true way to compare the process is deposition rates. It accounts for the bead size by measuring only the amount of deposited metal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Saad Afzal

you are right... but in this case i again couldn't figure out to calculate deposition rate for SMAW as formula contain wire travel speed which is a variable in gmaw, gtaw etc and is different from welding travel speed. If u have deposition rate formula for SMAW, please share.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Check out engineering tool box. Or just google weld deposition rates. There will be some anecdotal posts but there will also be some doctoral level papers.
I have more questions than answers

Josh