Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Rodbelan
    Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:17 am

I am looking for a stick welder, dual voltage, portable (sub 20 pounds), with an arc force adjustment... 160 amp, 200 amp max out... I am not a big fan of the cheap chinese welder — I bought one and it went back to the source as soon as I received it...

I am looking for something middle of the road, could be chinese but with some quality control... I was thinking of Klutch stick welder (but not available in Canada). Or Jasic PFC 180 — coming with a european plug that I would need to change.

There is also the small Primeweld 160 — without arc force adjustment though... I heard good comments about it (I know I can't rely too much on that...).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Rodbelan on Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sub 20# is going to be your deal breaker. That will keep you in the 150 to 180 amp range.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rodbelan

That would be allright... 160 AMP approx...
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

only problem is it's not dual voltage....

but if you wait a couple hours, I might have another suggestion that is dual-voltage
Rodbelan

Sure... I have all my time...
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

What is your budget?

Fronius has some pretty nifty stick machines that don't even need leads.

So this stick welder is dual-voltage, but it does not have arc force adjustment that you require. None the less, my initial observations/testing tells me it's pretty good. HTP's customer service is 2nd to none, and I doubt that they have relaxed any quality control to get this new machine produced.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

I know this wont be helpful but having quick googlate at USA stick welding offerings.......WOW :o
I checked at least 5 online stores the cheapest decent brand was 500 usd.
And quite heavy.
How does that happen? Why?
I use the jasic or the WIA 185i or cigweld weldskill 180. Can be used for tig, and they go alright too (just remember to flick switch over :oops: ) They are all about 300-400 aud which is maybe 20usd :lol: seriously about 250.
They are like T shirts over here, its not odd to have a few of them. :D
Have I missed something?
Anyhow the jasic is alright as a welder the ones over here take a few knocks in a ute and keep going. I personally have a couple of unimig jasic products myself.

Gdarc21 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:01 am I know this wont be helpful but having quick googlate at USA stick welding offerings.......WOW :o
I checked at least 5 online stores the cheapest decent brand was 500 usd.
That's just how it is, I suppose. A lot of times the power supplies add to the cost since they [at times] come with 120V & 240V input capability. Overseas, it's pretty much all 220V(?). Pretty sure that simplifies designs.
Rodbelan

I found a very, very good deal on an ESAB Miniarc 161 lts... Runs all the rods that I need, including 6010 in a portable unit... I'll let you once I have tested it thoroughly... Thanks for the reply.
Farmer263
    Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 pm

From Chinese welders i would place Hugong brand at the top,then Jasic and WTL.Those 3 would be in my opinion better ones,after them comes 99 other china brands,some will serve u good ,some don't,by this i mean ofc not only on welding machines,but all other thousands of tools they make.Here in Balkans we use allot of those Chinese products ,almost everything u can imagine for complete workshop at home.And honestly,if there were no for them,many peoples wouldn't even have any tools at home.For hobby and half professional purposes they can serve u very well.Ofc here we have service centers for most of their better brands,so no problem with repairing.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hugong are excellent welders.I have a couple of em and they are really good. All my mates own at least 1 of them too, but I wont tell them that they do though, cause all of our hugong gear are WIA yellow in Austraila. :D
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

ESAB Miniarc 161 is a good machine. I am surprised no one suggested its replacement, the Miniarc Rogue 180i https://bakersgas.com/products/esab-700500070
Multimatic 255
Rodbelan

Very good indeed! I can weld with very low amperage with a consistent arc! I am very surprised. Can't wait to do some more test...

I also had a surprise when I received the welder; full of dust, bad receptacles, bad connectors, etc. Once I took care of it, everything worked flawlessly... I bought it (blinded) from a farmer couple of hundred km from my place... When I opened it to dust it off, I realized that it has been used as a mice pantry, fridge... But noting was chewed up.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

nice :D
tweak it until it breaks
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I think I missed it, whichh machine was the winner?

He got an Esab miniarc 161 lts.
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

bap_ wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:53 pm What is your budget?

Fronius has some pretty nifty stick machines that don't even need leads.
The thud you heard was him hitting the floor after seeing the price.