Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Carbon34
    Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:54 am

I was looking through the stats on this welding machine since it was recently gifted to me, my first welding machine, and I thought beforehand it was thoroughly looked into but I noticed it said the max rod size for 7018 doing stick welding on the machine was a 5/32 rod, now i’m in a trade school doing welding and have been for a little while and we predominately use 7018 for stick since its like the most commercially used rod in the industry, and we predominately use 1/8th rods. If I cant run 1/8 rods on this machine I don’t know what Im going to do since I cant practice at home doing what Im doing in class, and I'm nowhere near TIG yet so it would be pointless to waste my time trying to learn both at once and have to mentally juggle all my problems with both, but I just wanted to ask if really 5/32 rods are all i’m gonna get because its quite concerning
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

While you are in Trade School, you might brush up on your math skills too. 1/8=4/32, therefore 5/32 is a larger rod than you are using. And it is very uncommon to Stick with larger than a 1/8 rod in most applications. Yes, sometimes 3/16 is used (1/8=2/16, so again that’s still larger than what you’re learning on) because of gaps and weld sizes, but still less common.

Moral of the story, you’re fine with the Dynasty 210 and it is one of the very best Stick and TIG machines on the planet.