Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Thor
    Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi all -

I'm working on a small cart project to move my welder around the barn. Making the main base frame out of 1/8" 1.25"X1.25" angle steel. Just wondering what the general opinion would be on how to do the corners on something like this. Would you use 45 degree mitre cuts and use butt joints for the corners? Or would you make straight cuts and overlap the corners with lap welds?

I'll probably try both - I definitely need the practice. However, I'd be interested to hear if there's a "proper" technique for this, or why anyone would prefer one way or another.

I'm back to welding after being away from it for years (decades actually). Picked it back up to take care of some repair work around the place, but had forgotten how much I enjoy it. Hoping to do some small projects just to justify burning rods.

Thanks,
Steve
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't think it would matter which way. The welds are just as strong either way. Its not like a wood connection where you want to maximize the area of connection. All that matters is that you like the outcome. Be artsy with it and miter the corners. Be functional and butt them together. Up to you. Let us know though and give us picks dude.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

The mitre joints are easier to cut and make look good and fit . The other ways, because of the way the L-iron is formed, are more difficult and require more cuts to make it look good and fit right. The overlap method will leave a gap because the inside corner of the L-iron isn't square so it can't properly butt up, the butt end method will leave a big gap to fill without notching one side.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

Depends on the equipment you have available to you. If you have a saw that will miter the corners then I would go that route. If not then do what you have to do. Notching is more time consuming but can be done. Overlapping looks like crap and the bottom will not be level. If fit is critical, be careful where you weld on the inside of the corners because you can't grind deep into the corner.