Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ASC
  • ASC
    Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

I'm looking for a lightweight portable welder that I can handle myself. Anybody have any thoughts on this: Burco MPM 165 welder generator produces 150 amps of welding .Lightweight (72 lbs.)60% duty cycle / 150 Amp.Honda (GsX-200).....7.2 HP
L x W x H.....18" x 14-1/2" x 16-1/2"
Weight......72 lbs. (dry)
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

There are a lot of different products out there. Two questions can help. 1. How much do you want to spend. 2. What is your application? What type of welding do you need to do?
Whith those two questions, I'm sure someone on here will come up with a set-up for you.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
ASC
  • ASC
    Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:39 am

Hi Jim,
I want to spend up to $1000. I need something I can lift out of a van myself. I would like something portable. I will be welding up to 1/4 carbon steel, mostly outdoors using 6010, 6011 or 7018.
Thanks,
Jeff
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Those little Burco's ROCK!!!

I could never figure out why they didnt catch on in the US. Where did you find it?

The one I used to have you couldn't use the aux power cause it was 210 European electric. It wouldn't run the tools.

If you get one just watch out for the duty cycle.

If you can plug in where you are working look into the little miller inverter welders. They work great on 110 power. If that isn't enough juice plug into 220 and the machine switches over itself. I use them for all kinds of jobs as long as the site has electric.
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Where did you find the Burco? Here in the US?

Can you post a link?
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.