Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Jards
    Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 am

Guys I'm losing it.

Have spent untold hours, consumed hundreds of rods 6013's 2.5 mm ( 3/32 ) and 3.2mm ( 1/8 ), cut up at last count 18 metres of 50 x 6 mm flat bar into 100 mm pieces and I still cannot turn out even a reasonable vertical up 90 degree joint. Vertical Butt welds ? do em in my sleep. I've even turned out a reasonable one or two T's but cannot repeat the joyful experience.

I've scoured u tube for vids ( have found three really goods sites to date inc this one) looking over and over again at the sparse pickings before rushing out to the shed and my 190 inverter to emulate the wonderful beads I see before me on the screen but nah. Fail.

On the screen the puddles look so clear and controllable and I sort of get that on the flat but its all a blur of flux on the verticals.

I understand about tickling the puddle along -have been MIG ing for years

Have progressed lens darkness from 10 now to 13 - has helped a bit

I hold the corners, avoid long arcing across the middle but no. No dice

Maintain a slight rod angle. 5 to 10 degrees

I'm gong to have a crack at some 6010's as I believe they have less flux so the puddle is more visible.

Its not going to beat me.

Probably not

I think
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Even Jody has shown occasional trouble with 6013. A fast freeze rod like 6010 or 6011 might be the answer.

Photos of the welds would help a diagnosis by the experts on here.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Try just a straight up and down movement. Flick up abit with a nice tight arc, then down into the pool. Give it a little wiggle side to side. Only about 2 mm each way. Then flick up again to move up.

Not sure if it will help, but I hope it stops you going on a killing spree,

Mick
Jards
    Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 am

Hey thanks for the replies fella's. sorry it's taken a while to respond. As it turned out my problem was: getting ahead of the puddle. Ie , not understanding that it is the puddle that does the welding not the rod and that you use the rod to create and control the puddle. As soon as I realised that, I could weld VU. Still have a way to go in regards turning out a really consistent bead but I'm pretty happy with it for now.

Thanks again
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

Thats great to hear. Keep up the good work.

Mick