Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I see most of you have your own preference for the brand of electrodes that you use. I was wondering...is there that much difference in the major brands of rods for same rod numbers...? I have noticed differences between cheaper and major brands, but I felt that was to be expected. Thanks .....Rickzzz
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

The difference may not be huge. But those of us who weld quite often or for a living with stick... It is hard to describe in words. For 7018 there is none better than lincoln excalibur. For 6010 lincolns fleetweld series is tops again. Once you move to a more general purpose rod like 7014 or 6013 it doesn't make a difference. When it comes to a flux cored wire agin you get what you pay for. I spend the extra for lincoln electrodes because I know the quality of the product (and lincoln is based here in Cleveland so I'm supporting my local and state economy but thats my preference). Like Otto says "your milage may vary".
Be the monkey....
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Rickzzz.

Nickn372 gave some advice concerning weldability (ease of welding) and productiveness.

The desired tests results during the qualification of the welding procedure can also be altered by the choice of filler metals (electrodes etc.) within the same classification. Many constructors will have discuss with the filler metal manufacturer up front, to see if their products will give the desired results. Often, the filler metal manufacturer will slightly alter the filler metal to enhance those results. This is often done for obtaining the mechanical, metallurgical, corrosion, etc. properties ... but also may be done to improve the weldability and productiveness of the welding.

The contractor often has a small team to improve these welding procedures. There is the Welding Engineer or Welding Metallurgist on one end, then an experienced Welder on the other. To close the gap between these two, there is a Welding Technician or Technologist.

Alexa
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have to agree with Nick.

While I'm sure it happens, I've never welded on a coded job with anything other than Lincoln "excaliber" 7018 and "fleetweld 5p+" Not only are these rods (and their fluxes) easy to work with, they are absolutely consistent rod-to-rod, can-to-can, pallet-to-pallet, etc., as long as they're treated properly. That means a rod oven at at least 270 degrees F for 7018, and room-temp dry storage for 5p+ (ambient humidity seems to be good for 5P+... not "damp", though)

For non-coded work, usually structure and/or plate, the brands are all over the map, whoever gave the boss the best deal, and you can tell a difference in general, as well as batch-to-batch.

@ Alexa,
Thanks for the insight into qualifying a WPS from the topside view. I hadn't considered job-specific alloying and fluxes for specific requirements; As the "end user", I always thought the rod was chosen "from available" for the "best fit".

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Otto Nobedder.

I recommend that you take a curiosity tour of the operations of a filler metal manufacturing plant of rods and wire. You will come away with the eyes of a child upon opening gifts under the Xmas tree.

Alexa
zjtins
    Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

As an amateur I love the Lincoln rods just cant get them around here anymore, Hobart is #2 and is what available. The cheap HF or other is not worth the money or effort to make work.
Bigreez
  • Bigreez

I agree with the concencus if its important or someone is paying you Lincoln is the only choice for electrodes. Absolute consistency is what you get unles you store them improperly. I once worked for a gentleman that wanted to save a couple bucks and bought some Hobart 7018 new 10# box for a small repair on a loader bucket. Got it all together I know for a fact it had excessive porosity I could see the coating coming off while welding not on every one but several out of the box. Probably fine for hobby welding but I would never use on a pressure vessel or a test. Just my meager experience if you get a new unopend box of rod you shouldnt need to stick it right in a rod oven so you can burn it I have burned hundreds of pounds of esab mig wire had no problems.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Bigreez,

7018 is a "low-hydrogen" rod, and comes in a sealed container for a reason. Standard practice is to go directly from can to oven when you open it. Under code conditions, once you take a handfull of rod from the oven or freshly opened can, you have four hours to use it, or it is considered "non-compliant".

Does this make a difference for the hobby user? Generally, no. Hydrogen embrittlement is not a big issue building the wife a trellis, or welding a new spring mount on your truck... Just keep them in a warm dry place, as 7018 does not like absorbing moisture. It might seem counter-intuitive, but I've welded 7018 in pouring rain. The rods, fresh from the oven, were put in my pouch under my rainsuit, and each rod was exposed to rain for only as long as it took to burn it.

Rambling...

Steve S
Bigreez
  • Bigreez

All righty then you obviously got this.
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

Has anybody used any Nikko Steel electrodes by any chance? Are they any good?
hayfarmer
    Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Not Nikko but Hitatchi. Not sure if they make them or someone else does. I bought 20# of 1/8" 6010 and really them. I have used the a Lincoln 6010 (not sure of the model number) and found them terrible. Very, very hard to restart and when you did the flux would pop off!! They also finger nailed badly. I wound up recycling them. I dont think thats the normal quality as Ive used their 6011 and 7018 w/o problem.
Ive also used Inweld (6011) and WA alloy (7024) and they were OK too.
Ruark
    Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 am

I'm pretty much a beginner too, but I have noticed a dramatic difference between Hobart and Lincoln 7018AC. The Lincoln is much much easier to start (usually on the first scratch) and run. In other rods like 6011 I can't tell any difference. No I do not keep my 7018ac in an oven.
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Gotta say when it comes to X-ray welds. I prefer Lincoln's 5p+6010 and esabs atom arc low hydrogen rods. Arcaloy makes good stainless rods. Wouldn't weld on my horse trailer with any available aluminum stick rod.
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

Does anyone remember when the Hobart rod changed at tsc . I noticed it with 7014 probably 6or7 years ago the boxes changed from a smooth box to a lighter rougher box . Chipping was way more difficult and had even worse tendencies for worm holes.
From then on I got lincoln rod from the welding shop . Intill then I didn't think it mattered
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't get to choose which rods we use. that decision comes higher up on the food chain. I am however very glad to see a pallet or two of Lincoln rods on occasion which are my personal favorite. we had some surplus from the Korean war era and believe it or not they burned pretty good if the container was intact.
LITZYWELDER
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 am

HAS ANY BODY EVER TRIED CROWN RODS THEY OFFER A LOT OF DIFFERENT KINDS THAT YOU CANT SEEM TO GET FROM OTHER MANUFACTURES?
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

I always used crown for SS work , but now I found star alloys to be even more user friendly other than the slag pops off when it's cooling put your helmet up and get away from the part . Still use crown for hard surface work
plantwelder
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

I wonder if we have a bigger choice this side of the pond. In the UK there's Murex, Esab, Bohler, Oerlikon, Eutectic, BOC, all good consistent electrodes. Lincoln are available here as well, but I doubt I've burnt a full 5kg box in 35 years. Mind you, I haven't seen Eutectic for a few years, so not sure if they're still on the go. Anyone?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ plantwelder
Yes Eutectic are still around - still expensive - but always nice rods - not sure we have more choice of anything in the UK compared with the US of A. - most stuff we get they had way before us - don't be fooled into thinking they have only Lincoln / Hobart & import cr-p @ Walmart !
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

What about Forney Rods? I can get those local but anything else I have to order online or drive 1.5 hrs.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

do you mean there are other's besides lincoln??
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ttreb4 wrote:What about Forney Rods? I can get those local but anything else I have to order online or drive 1.5 hrs.
I've had good luck with Forney rods. The last ones I remember using were 7014.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

nickn372 wrote:The difference may not be huge. But those of us who weld quite often or for a living with stick... It is hard to describe in words. For 7018 there is none better than lincoln excalibur. For 6010 lincolns fleetweld series is tops again. Once you move to a more general purpose rod like 7014 or 6013 it doesn't make a difference. When it comes to a flux cored wire agin you get what you pay for. I spend the extra for lincoln electrodes because I know the quality of the product (and lincoln is based here in Cleveland so I'm supporting my local and state economy but thats my preference). Like Otto says "your milage may vary".
Not even. If you ever welded with a Hilco Red Extra you'd trash all of the other 6013's.Even on AC, it lays down like a 7018 on DC.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

nickn372 wrote:The difference may not be huge. But those of us who weld quite often or for a living with stick... It is hard to describe in words. For 7018 there is none better than lincoln excalibur. For 6010 lincolns fleetweld series is tops again. Once you move to a more general purpose rod like 7014 or 6013 it doesn't make a difference. When it comes to a flux cored wire agin you get what you pay for. I spend the extra for lincoln electrodes because I know the quality of the product (and lincoln is based here in Cleveland so I'm supporting my local and state economy but thats my preference). Like Otto says "your milage may vary".
I know this is a 9 month old late response, but look at a box of Lincoln Fleetwelds next time. They're made in MEXICO. So much for thinking you're supporting America, 100%.

I do agree, Excalibur rocks the 7018 world. Lincoln's 6010 5P and 5P+ also rocks! For 7014's, nothing beats Forney! :mrgreen:
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.