Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I have a lincoln 225 amp AC machine. runs on 220 volt plug. I got this for a deal on craigslist, 125 dollers still in the box. In the interest of getting my own starter rig set up(for side work and a half decent wage in the non union sector) I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a generator to run this thing off of(it would have to be mobile, no shop work) or just scrap the idea and try to get a loan for a lincoln ranger or something simmiler with its own power source.

I already know that rolling up to the jobsite with a half a$$ AC welder in a jeep and a mini bottle set looks like a joke, but you gotta start somewhere.

My real concern is whether or not a generator will last day in and day out in a rough enviornment, arent generators for emergencies? how many hours on average should they last? How long should a half maintained Lincoln ranger last hours wise?

I have never owned a generator, as I live in the norfolk(VA) metro where there are few power outages and little space for things like that.

thanks,
-Rick
MobileWelding
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 am

Hey Rick...

You CAN run that on a generator, however..... (don't you hate it when people say that?) That Lincoln needs a 40 amp 220 line. MOST generators with a 220v line are only 30 amp. If you look around long enough, you may find a 40 amp, but unlikely.

Now, that doesn't mean that it won't work at all... You can easily run 3/32 6013 at 75 amps all day long, been there done that.

When you try to tun a 1/8 at say around 90+ amps, everytime you don't get a clean start, or if the rod sticks, you WILL trip the breaker on the generator. Eventually, that will become a pain in the ass, which only took 3 mins for me to figure that out.

Having said that, a generator, and a few different welding machines is how I started my business. It can be done, but you will want to upgrade really quick.

Check your personal mail, I sent you a little note

-Jason
MobileWelding
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 am

By the way, that's a heck of a deal you got on that tombstone. Also, if you plan to run that on a generator, you will have to either cut the end of the cable off and change to a generator plug (about $30), or make a very short pigtail converter from Generator plug to 220v plug.