Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Here are my welds trying to pass that 6G stick test. This was hmm third time that i practise this joint, and i dont have so much expirience with stick than TIG.. But this is stick all the way 7018 root 2,00mm and 2,5mm fill and cap. We use here Finland Remotes when welding pipe whit stick and heres what it came out :D Still learnig to weld by one hand.. I have some problems when welding that cap at: six a clok weawing is diffigult... BIG THANKS BELONG SVETSARE WHO HAS HELPED ME OUT LOT ;) I would never got this much info about pipes with out this forum and Jody (THANK YOU MUCH).. Im allmost one step gloser to my goal 8-)

WELDER: KEMPPI Master TIG/STICK 2200
Electrodes Esab 48.00 2.00mm and 2.5mm
Attachments
10mm 6G SMAW CAP.jpg
10mm 6G SMAW CAP.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
10mm 6G pipe SMAW 2.jpg
10mm 6G pipe SMAW 2.jpg (137.21 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
10mm 6G pipe SMAW.jpg
10mm 6G pipe SMAW.jpg (138.89 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm impressed.

I've never attempted 7018 open-root on pipe.

I've done it plenty on plate, but never once where I could see the back side of it and know how well I'd done.

Steve S
Aleksi86

THANKS... But here we allways use 7018 on pipe roots.. I dont know how that 6010 works because never seen one :?: But its a fast freezer wright? Here starts my stony road learning to weld pipe whit stick :D Even this is not perfect but i was very pleased way it came ;) Must have that stance to keep on trying and trying different things,im decided to get that 6g test pass and eaven thats only the beginning to work whit pipe.
Jason123177
    Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm

We don't do a lot of 7018 open root pipe here in the states, but from what I can see it looks like a nice root. What was your gap set at? You were using a remote like a thumb control with stick? That is kind of weird. As for as the 6010, yes it is a fast freeze cellulose electrode. It is really quite simple to put a nice root in with. 3/32 gap with a 1/32-1/16 land, 1/8 6010 5p+ works best in my opinion, and machine at about 90 amps. Poke the rod through and drag it up or downhill depending on what the wps calls for. It's really that simple for me.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

We did some open root at the shipyard but it was 8018 or 11018.
Still low hydrogen and had to be run uphill. Most of our critical
stuff was tig root and hot pass with a consumable insert and then
stick fill and cover. 6010 or 6011 weren't even allowed through the gate! ;)
Aleksi86

It was 2,4mm gap and tiny land.. welded that root 2.00mm electrodes maybe a less then 2 INCH at time when i have to chainge new electrode.. Lots of tieins but its a good practice for me. I have allso fixed my other cuopons if the weld was too low from root or edges dident melt. Better to learn about it now then actually job site.. That cap is now issue for me.. Espesialy when i weld left hand havent find that right movment when i am at 6-8 clock.. Here yes we use remotes what you can roll whit your thumb up-or down and Amps will immediately rise or lowering. Gives you a much more controll of the weld pudlle..like that 7018 root ;)
Jason123177
    Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Interesting about the remote. I generally weld my caps with a 3/32 7018 (not sure of the conversion to mm but I an guessing it is 2.0mm) at about 100 amps, with a smooth side to side motion. For 6-8 sometimes I sweep ahead a little onto the bottom of the coupon. Like a slight / motion instead of just straight across.
Svetsare
    Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am

I think 3/32 is 2,5 mm. :)
I think its weird that remotes are not used in states. Here everyone uses a remote when welding with stick.
It helps you a lot, you dont have to run to the machine if you change to a bigger or smaller stick.
Here we weld a lot stainless steel pipe with stick.I think its almost impossible to weld thin stainless steel without a remote. :)
What I have heard, you guys in states weld stainless usually with tig. Is that correct?
Aleksi86

Image that remote like a scratch start TIG- VS FOOT PEDAL EQUIPPED TIG..Spesially when you weld thinner stuff what you cant normaly weld whit STICK.. Because now you can lower that heat input so much and your rod burns still,you can start at high ampperage and have a good crisp start and then go lower and rod burns fine because its litle heated all ready ;) . And a nother point i dont know how much Argon costs ($) in US, but here it is bretty expensive about 100Euros 20 litres botle so its saves time and money in field..Of course TIG gives you better welds and looks,if its very critical joint then i think it will welded whit TIG.. whether (TIG) was eaven made for welding stainless?? But there is so much diffrent jobs/joints where stick is better or faster/inexpensive.. Hope this makes some sense to you :D
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

6 - 8 o'clock. For me I always had my best results with a slight pushing angle. Not much, maybe 5 degrees maximum.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Aleksi86 wrote:Image that remote like a scratch start TIG- VS FOOT PEDAL EQUIPPED TIG..Spesially when you weld thinner stuff what you cant normaly weld whit STICK.. Because now you can lower that heat input so much and your rod burns still,you can start at high ampperage and have a good crisp start and then go lower and rod burns fine because its litle heated all ready ;) . And a nother point i dont know how much Argon costs ($) in US, but here it is bretty expensive about 100Euros 20 litres botle so its saves time and money in field..Of course TIG gives you better welds and looks,if its very critical joint then i think it will welded whit TIG.. whether (TIG) was eaven made for welding stainless?? But there is so much diffrent jobs/joints where stick is better or faster/inexpensive.. Hope this makes some sense to you :D
agreed. a remote is a handy thing to have. mine not only raises and lowers the current but passes rods, sweeps the shop and if i ask nice goes for lunch. argon, co2 and even oxygen are pretty expensive here in the states and vary widely depending on what region you live in which still makes old fashioned stick welding hard to beat.
Aleksi86

Sure its not nailed in my hand allways when i stick. But here finland/Nordic you need to know how to use it. Like i said that we dont have thoos 6010 dont know why? But we have that remote and its usually made by KEMPPI not me.. Iknow by using it that remote dont replace your skils at welding stick, its a new tool to help you out some situations.. I know you have a lifetime behind welding helmet,i have only start to learn basics and this is what im been teached to use..
jwmacawful

Aleksi86 wrote:Sure its not nailed in my hand allways when i stick. But here finland/Nordic you need to know how to use it. Like i said that we dont have thoos 6010 dont know why? But we have that remote and its usually made by KEMPPI not me.. Iknow by using it that remote dont replace your skils at welding stick, its a new tool to help you out some situations.. I know you have a lifetime behind welding helmet,i have only start to learn basics and this is what im been teached to use..
hey aleksi- i was only making a small joke. my remote is my helper. i'm puzzled though as to why 5p isn't widely used also downhand pipe welding not popular either in europe.

It's been my experience on several forums that XX10 cellulosic rods are a US standard practiced almost nowhere else.

I have no explanation. It just "is".

In Australia and New Zealand, a 6013 root is fairly common practice, for example.

Steve S
jwmacawful

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's been my experience on several forums that XX10 cellulosic rods are a US standard practiced almost nowhere else.

I have no explanation. It just "is".

In Australia and New Zealand, a 6013 root is fairly common practice, for example.

Steve S
on the welding web forum there's a guy from ireland welding water lines and he's using 6013. his lacing cover pass looks like an orbital machine did it. truly a work of art.
Aleksi86

Here are allso thoose 6013 what are recomended for rootpasses at ESAB welding electrodes book.. But i dont know is any of them eaven close to yours 6010.. Dont realy know what kind of electrode loking for to match/6010?? jwmacawful YEAP thats eaven better "helpper" to have around..
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

6010/11 are in a group all of their own. The cellulose matter in the coating is unlike any other ingredient in other electrode group.

Mick
Aleksi86

OKEY.. Well maybe i try to order them couple somewhere for here Finland just to try them out would be incresting to see how they work,how much easier it makes rootpasses comparing 7018.. Maybe EBAY is the place to find a shop what sends them here? Ive jused Lincoln electrodes before but allways 7018s normaly allways ESAB. Ofcourse there is tons of other brands too but when you have found that your "favorites" you likely want to use them often you can , i do ( its the one of the most important thing between you and a work piece)
jwmacawful

Aleksi86 wrote:OKEY.. Well maybe i try to order them couple somewhere for here Finland just to try them out would be incresting to see how they work,how much easier it makes rootpasses comparing 7018.. Maybe EBAY is the place to find a shop what sends them here? Ive jused Lincoln electrodes before but allways 7018s normaly allways ESAB. Ofcourse there is tons of other brands too but when you have found that your "favorites" you likely want to use them often you can , i do ( its the one of the most important thing between you and a work piece)
aleksi- even if you could lay your hands on some 6010/11 i bet you couldn't actually use them (outside of practise/experiment) on any job that has to pass inspection.

jwmmawful is right...

While you may want to do this for your own interest, the codes in Europe do not include 6010/6011 rods, or likely any of the XX10/XX11 rods.

Learning this process will not serve you unless you intend to travel to the U.S. and work. I would, however, encourage you to do so, for the same reasons I'd like to come to Finland to work. Our world is only as broad as we make it.

Steve S
Aleksi86

YEP thats true, but maybe i still try to order them "few" to satisfy my own intres :?: Welding school where im now doesent realy push students for pipe/any else skillful welding,most of them will come shop welders. Of course US is WAY WAY bigger place to work whit pipes (biger jobs and so on) But here thoose few who can do that job and pass the test are very rear or maybe the "others" welders doesent want to. But im 27 now and welded some time my own and a year a go went to school. And now i can say that ive founded that what i like to do (allways liked to fix/work my hands. All my litle pit of nolige for welding i have finded by my self here and books and visiting different shops and speaking peoples. Now my two sons runnig my legs but this is my chance to have my boys/wife litle pit more then avrige wage.. School is pretty much offered only epquiments gas and litle help for beginning (there is cutted money so much now, no good teachers) Remember when my teacher showed (not welded) 6G position said that this is the challenging position what covers everything else positions. And no one and inclueding me dident belive that would evere learn that..But now im close and its not felted "work" hard but i like challenge my self :D And its a darm good fealing when there comes some argument about something what envolves welding/metals and i know the ansver (sometimes :lol: ) Gues its pride? i was at life that i needed something to feel better/pride. Work is so important for most of us.. Not purposesly writed this long but thanks to you all this web page, and jody he has give me lots of nolige/interest for welding
plantwelder
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Aleksi, I take my hat off to you for trying to better yourself by whatever means you can. Today at age 52 I tried to SMAW with my left hand for the first time, just to see if I could. Guess that gives it away that I've never been a pipelines. I actually got on better than I normally do with my right hand - been doing it wrong for 35 years! I wish you well with your studies, and nothing you learn is wasted. It's knowledge in the bank for when you need it.
Aleksi86

Thank you.. I have found that this site and all thoose litle tips/tricks have been woth of gold/with lots of practise.. No book havent tell me this kind of things.. Tryed to find a good book what covers stick/tig pipe welding techniques no codes or that, but something what covers litle bit more then rod angels and distanses (basigs).. Finnish books are bretty much same each others and havent found any what covers pipe welding more deeply.. That Metals and how to weld them, i have all ready,but wasent what i was looking for..
plantwelder
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

"Pipe welding procedures" by Hoobasar Rampaul is the best book I've seen on pipe welding. Have a look on Amazon.
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Aleksi86 wrote:Thank you.. I have found that this site and all thoose litle tips/tricks have been woth of gold/with lots of practise.. No book havent tell me this kind of things.. Tryed to find a good book what covers stick/tig pipe welding techniques no codes or that, but something what covers litle bit more then rod angels and distanses (basigs).. Finnish books are bretty much same each others and havent found any what covers pipe welding more deeply.. That Metals and how to weld them, i have all ready,but wasent what i was looking for..
For me no book can teach me how to weld .. I learn by doing and for me I learned how to pipe weld by perfecting my bead and making looking like stacked dimes and then learned how to weld on all joints with the stacked dimes looked and then practiced on pipes ....
Good luck on pasting the 6G test