Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

Heres some pics how i have come litle better again.. No pics for root but it was same as betore "okay" IT REALY KEEPS ME GOING FORWARD WHEN I SEE MY PROGRESS :)
Pipe is sand blasted normal steel 2,4mm gap and litle land 7018 root to cap.
Attachments
pipe2.jpg
pipe2.jpg (165.25 KiB) Viewed 771 times
pipes1.jpg
pipes1.jpg (120.57 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Svetsare
    Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am

This is something I promised Aleksi to post, he´s planning to weld a Stainless steel test also.
So here is some pictures of a stainless pipe welded with stick.
The pipe is 2mm thick and 48mm wide, is that the correct word? I am not sure..
It is welded in 6g position.
Anyway its welded with elga 316lp, 2mm rods. Is it 5/64 in inches??
Attachments
YKS.JPG
YKS.JPG (184.89 KiB) Viewed 718 times
TOINEN.JPG
TOINEN.JPG (240.8 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Kolmas.JPG
Kolmas.JPG (166.69 KiB) Viewed 718 times
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

That ss pipe looks more like 5mm thick... 2mm thick pipes are near impossible with stick...
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I disagree.

That looks like scd. 10 to me.

And a damn fine job.

Stainless stick on pipe is very difficult.

A common test in the U.S. for Master pipe welders is to use 309 stick to weld carbon pipe.

Steve S
Svetsare

That is 2 mm for sure, and it is welded all the way with stick. I can post a picture with a measure if you dont believe me. :D
This is very difficult at first and you have to remember, in northern europe we always use remote control when we weld with stick.
This is common test here, not everyone has it but those who can do it always have a job.

You can compare that pipe size to my fingers seen in the last picture, these photos show things bigger then they really are.
Aleksi86
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am

chadwarden wrote:That ss pipe looks more like 5mm thick... 2mm thick pipes are near impossible with stick...

I asked SVETSARE to send me photo welding 2mm ss pipe. And he is very talented man from compared hes age, and has done lots of practise-work before going job welding ss pipe..I just sayed to him (private) that ive havent never ever learn this much new about weldng pipes whit stick/remote...Thoose pictures play whit messurments when they are taken close up photos..Only bad thing to say hes pics is that i suck compared whit him :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I see some companies make s/s electrodes specifically for root runs in pipe and tanks to do away with need to purge,

Avesta 4d is one.
Svetsare

Thats the best thing when using stick.
Whit tig stainless is so annoying to weld place beads, when you have to gas a long line.
But with stick you just weld it, so simple. :)
Svetsare

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's been my experience on several forums that XX10 cellulosic rods are a US standard practiced almost nowhere else.

I have no explanation. It just "is".

In Australia and New Zealand, a 6013 root is fairly common practice, for example.

Steve S
I know this is old thread but still I was wondering, why is it allowed in usa to use 6010 to weld pressure pipe roots?
Why dont you use 7018 wich is stronger metal and the same as the pipe.
I dont know how steels are qualified around there.
Here we got this st355 steel, wich is the same as 7018 electrodes metal.
We got to use this when we weld a high quality work and as you already know, this is pretty much the only rod we use around here. 6010 in here be codes as st235 and there is no way we could use a rod that is weaker then what the base metal is.. So why is 6010 allowed in there and why you use 7018 for a root?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Svetsare,

6010 is common in non-critical pressure pipe. We also use 7010, 8010, and 9010, depending on the application. We also have 8018, 9018, even 11018.

The application dictates the filler. You hear about 6010 so much, because the great majority of pipe work is non-critical. Water lines, vent pipes, etc. Even in a coal-fired powerplant, far more than half the welds are non-critical.

Steve S
Svetsare

Aa ok, now i understand it. Everyone was always talking about 6010 only and I was just
wondering this, thanks for info again.