Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Haven't been welding long. Here is my problem.....Have a supply of Lincoln 6011, 6013, 7014 and 7018 rods. I can start everything up with ease except for the 6011s. I am using a Longevity Stickweld 140 inverter DCEP. I have ran the current setting up and down the recommended settings and then some, but they continue to stick....not occasionally, but every time I try to strike an arc. making them unusable..! I have some Harbor Freight 6011s and they work like a charm. All the rods are 3/32 dia. Is there such a thing as a bad box of rods or am I just missing something I am doing wrong? The box of 6011 rods are labeled AC/DC +/-.... Any recommendations would be appreciated.....RICKzzz
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It's entirely possible to get a "bad batch".

I had this happen Friday with aluminum TIG rod. I finished a box of 1/8" 5356 Radnor brand, and grabbed the Alcotec from the bottom shelf. I was welding 4G. The Alcotec would melt off and drip out so fast I couldn't "flick off" the ball-ups, and was seriously burned three times. I stopped, and demanded replacement rod. 30 minutes later, I had a box of Oxford brand, and the problem was solved.

Bad rod from Lincoln is unusual, but not impossible. Poor storage at the supplier is one likely culprit.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

probably a bad batch of rods because 6011 are the easiest rods to start ,try a different box an see what it does , and make sure your longevity is set on dcep if you get them switched they won't run right on dcen. Burns the water out of them to fast and you lose your arc force that why they run good on ac , just my experience with them , good luck John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks for the info......I am getting an AC Buzz box in a few days...will try the rods with that first and if not successful off to the store for a new box of 6011s....may have to look around, most of the big box stores (HD, Menards and Lowes) around here only sell Lincoln brand...maybe I will take a chance...! Thanks ....Rickzzz