Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Rickzzz
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Several days ago I did a post about the problem I was having getting some Lincoln brand 6011s to strike an arc. Read my prior post for the details.... Today I bought a new box of 6011s. A generic brand from a welding supply store with their brand name on the rods. The rods worked like a charm...! I decided before I would dump the bad box of Lincolns in the garbage, I would try one more idea I had either heard or read about. Took some of the bad rods and before I tried to strike and arc with them I stuck each one in a full water bottle for about 2-3 secs each. Unbelievable.....they worked like some of the best rods I have ever used. Repeated this several times with the same results. Sure some of you must have heard of this before....? Rickzzz
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have heard this, and have done it with 6010. I have, in fact, used 1/8" 6010 at 275A to burn holes in steel UNDER water, to make drain holes for the water.

6010 and 6011 like some moisture. They should not be in a rod oven. Restrike is easier with a dip in water, or in a pinch, spit and dip.

Steve S