Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
waylinbrandon1
    Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm practicing for a 6g pipe test with 2in pipe . My root looks good till I grinded pipe till it was mostly clear of slag . This test will be xrayed so I didn't want to leave any trash . I added my hotpass with 3/32 LH at 83 amps and got suck back and root has undercut on the inside. Could I get away with buffing root then only grind a little on wagon track ? We weld structural pipe on the vertical and pass u.t. with a buffing and a little grind at work ,could I do the same on x ray ? Help needed . mid 80's amps 6011,thermal arc 181
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Its not what the x ray will see, its what your examiner will allow. If they are a complete stickler and have minimum real world experience, they will make you weld it as pretty as a brides you know what, but if they have worked in the outside world, and know the trade, they may let a bit extra grinding.

Ps, Ill move this post to the stick welding area, as this section is for suggestions and feed back about the forum.

Mick
YesMadBro
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 pm

I believe you should grind as little as possible, that way you don't have such a thin layer of metal for your hot pass to go over and won't risk disturbing the root. I like to grind until it looks decent, and pretty flat/clean without going overboard, the. USe a real hot hot pass to burn out anything the grinder left behind
waylinbrandon1
    Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 pm

i know i took too much metal out and thats where the suck back happened . I also thought of using two stringer hot pass to focus heat on wagon tracks with 3/32 LH at 80-85 amps . I appreciate the feedback because I don't see many pipe welders to get feedback from . But this forum is really useful and i love the videos
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

What are wagon tracks?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Wagon Tracks
Attachments
Wagon tracks.jpg
Wagon tracks.jpg (5.39 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
YesMadBro
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 pm

waylinbrandon1 wrote:i know i took too much metal out and thats where the suck back happened . I also thought of using two stringer hot pass to focus heat on wagon tracks with 3/32 LH at 80-85 amps . I appreciate the feedback because I don't see many pipe welders to get feedback from . But this forum is really useful and i love the videos
That's an interesting concept for a hot pass, I've never tried it and have no input as to whether it is a good idea or not. Would like to hear some of the more experienced guys thoughts on this. For my root and hot pass I run 6010 5P 1/8 rods. Root pass I like to run about 75-80 amps and hot pass I like to run about 90-95 amps.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I prefer to use the "bury-rod" technique for a root pass. It requires a good fit-up, though. I run 1/8" 5P at 105A for this, and when the fit's right, I can raise my hood and talk to you while welding by the sound and feel. (I don't do that on x-ray, just once in a while to show off... :oops: )

One advantage for bury-rod is a nice smooth concave outer surface on the root. A wire-wheel will dress it well enough for the hot pass, which I run at the same current, but slower travel and a slight step-pause. Up- or down-hand is customer's choice, works about the same.

Another advantage is that I can also fill and cap with 1/8" 7018 at 105A comfortably, so no need for machine adjustments for a rod-switch.

I've also done it on 14" sch. 160 using 5/32 rods for both, at 155A, if I recall.

These machine settings were on generator welders, BTW, both blue and red.

Steve S