Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
trusky
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:58 pm

I purchased a truck equiped with a Miller Trailblazed gas welder several months ago. The machine worked fine, except the battery was bad and I had to jump it off by connecting cables to battery leads that also ran to an air compressor. Once started it worked fine. It had been mounted in a maner that didn't allow access to the battery without cutting the mounts loose. Rather than do that I removed the cover and added longer battery leads and attached them to a new battery under the unit. While I had the cover off, I blew a lot of dust out of it with an air hose. Ever since then I have had a problem with my rods sticking and have been unable to weld anything. I've tried turning up the amps, changing from positive to negative and even on the AC setting. Nothing has worked. I was very careful not to put too much air pressure on anything or knock anything loose. I can't imagine what the problem may be. Any suggestions?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Welcome to the family. It sounds as though you have blown abit of dust/ metal dust into a sensitve part of the machine. Being a miller, means you have good back up. Gice them a ring and they should be able to help/

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum trusky.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm assuming you are using the correct output terminals. My 301G has three: ground, CC, and CV. I would pull off the cover and inspect all the wiring under the hood. You may have blown a connection loose. Depending on the age of this machine, the contacts on the stator may not be clean and need a good once-over. If you don't have a manual go to the Miller website and download one using your machine's s/n. If you don't have a digital volt meter (DVM) I would highly recommend buying a good one, but a cheap one will do. Check the output voltage at the welding terminals. Verify the polarity in DC mode and that it matches your setting. Measure the Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) and compare it to what the manual says it should be. Also, check you auxiliary 120 voltage output to make sure the run RPMs are where they need to be. Hopefully it's a settings, or cleaning, or loose connection problem.
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set