Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
fdude64
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi I am new to welding and was wondering which is the most critical , the root pass or the cover pass? as in which one gives the most strength to the weld?
Lincoln 225 ac buzz box(my first machine)
farmhand 110 vac mig/fluxcore
miller aead 200le
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You are looking at it wrong. The entire weld is important and needs to be done correctly throughout.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

fdude64 wrote:Hi I am new to welding and was wondering which is the most critical , the root pass or the cover pass? as in which one gives the most strength to the weld?
each weld pass has it own very important part to play in the finished product. although the root is the foundation the cover pass ties it all together and adds reinforcement. very interesting question!!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
fdude64
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

thanks for the replies, I understand the entire weld needs to be done right just wondered where the most strength came from
Lincoln 225 ac buzz box(my first machine)
farmhand 110 vac mig/fluxcore
miller aead 200le
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

fdude64 wrote:thanks for the replies, I understand the entire weld needs to be done right just wondered where the most strength came from
Still looking at it wrong.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

In terms of importance, the root, and interanls of a weld are of utmost importance, because, should a defect be discovered by xray or ultrasonic testing, the entire weld must be removed. and fixed, if there is a surface defect, a bit of grinding and a little more weld and you're done. (Most anyone can fill and cap a weld, but it takes skill to lay perfect root runs)

In terms of strength, a strong root run is important because it must support the rest of the weld, and withstand the stresses of the rest of the welding. How ever, any lack of fusion or porosity in any run can cause a weld to crack.