Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
JoshuaBrown18
    Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:21 am

Hey guys,
I've been using and abusing the plethora of information contained within this site for about a month now, figured I owed it to the community at large to join and contribute. So hi.

I am currently a student at John A Logan in Cartervill IL. for an Associates of applied Sciences in Welding. I have been very successful in my class so far, this is a direct result of my unrelenting desire and need to garner information and abilities. Many a night during these classes I have found myself up far too late researching different techniques. I have to say this site rocks for deep info. Thanks for that.
I have developed a couple different ways for practicing the basics at home. I Have to have something for them long weekends when I'm deprived from my Painting with Lightning™. I would love to share these if anyone is interested.
As a result of my nerdyness for all things fusion, I got some pretty trophy welds to put on the shelf. I'm really having a blast with SMAW. There has been some rockyness but I am still way ahead of my class schedule. I'm a couple weeks into next semester.

I wanted to post a couple of my results and get some feed back from some pros.

Below is My first "successful" 6010 DCEP open root v-groove butt joint. We started trying this Wednesday afternoon I got in two hours before the end of class. I came home started researching and Thursday morning after an hour of trying I produced the weld below. Since then I have made a couple tack-to-tack clean bonds.

I'm 6 weeks into my welding career and having an absolute blast.
Attachments
My first "successful" (Top) 6010 DCEP open root v-groove butt joint. I got extra credit for making the top pretty.
My first "successful" (Top) 6010 DCEP open root v-groove butt joint. I got extra credit for making the top pretty.
133699500.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
My first "successful" (bottom) 6010 DCEP open root v-groove butt joint. You can see my restart.
My first "successful" (bottom) 6010 DCEP open root v-groove butt joint. You can see my restart.
133700271.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
JoshuaBrown18
    Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:21 am

One more to show off. My 6013 AC V-butt backer Oxy-cut. Took me a little bit to get the fill order and structure, but I worked all the kinks out with the tee joint. I love this piece particularly due to it perfection and the weave cap my instructor allowed me to use. There was only one inclusion in the entire piece and it was a result of the restart on the weave, blew it out the bottom.
Attachments
6013 AC V-butt backer Oxy-cut woven cap.
6013 AC V-butt backer Oxy-cut woven cap.
130362442.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
6013 AC V-butt backer Oxy-cut
6013 AC V-butt backer Oxy-cut
52683069.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
4m welder
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

when you get to the end of the joint, backstep about a 1/4-1/2" and that will help that crater hole. Make sure to feather yours tacks..and make sure the sparks are on the other side of the plate or pipe. Watch that keyhole...try to keep it the same size. Looks good for 6 weeks