Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

just a dumb question I was thinking about ;)

Could a man take a AC225 tombstone, remove the stinger and ground and put a red and black jumper cable clamps on the leads?
Could you set the welder on fifty amps and then hook the cables up to a loader battery??? Is the current the same as a battery charger???

just wondering....

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

NO - NO - NO DO NOT DO THIS !

Your 225 is AC & will have an OCV in the 50 > 70 range
A standard wet 6cell lead acid battery ( nominal 12 volt ) requires DC @ 13.8 volts to charge it.

If your really stuck to charge batteries & have a small Mig welder often the lowest tapping will be around 14 / 15 volts & is DC - it's not particularly good practice - but you could connect leads & use that - just keep a voltmeter connected & once the battery gets up to 14 volts stop charging or you will boil it.

Don't worry, this Idea Is still in the mental stage so I guess I wont try it, thanks

John :|

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

idk about using a tombstone as a makeshift battery charger. when i worked in a fab shop i saw a hobart electric generator motor welding machine start a lincoln sa200. that's a different animal entirely though.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

It can be done, but it would require additional electronic circuitry.
The following youtube video shows a very crude, manually regulated system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdxhozhNFnU

Your biggest problem will be regulating the power to cut off the amps when the batteries are topped up.
In the case of an automotive alternator, this is done thru the field coil and regulator circuit.
AKweldshop wrote:just a dumb question I was thinking about ;)
Could a man take a AC225 tombstone, remove the stinger and ground and put a red and black jumper cable clamps on the leads? Could you set the welder on fifty amps and then hook the cables up to a loader battery??? Is the current the same as a battery charger??? just wondering.... John
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

How about this.... If you need a battery charger, buy a real "BATTERY CHARGER." Would you buy a battery charger to use for welding??? Or how about using a kitchen blender to mow the lawn or a steam cleaner to do laundry with???? :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree on the battery charger - the rest depends on how "red neck " you are ! - their creativity defies intended usage - ( check out You Tube ! )besides I thought a blender was designed for destructive testing of anything & some peoples under garments probably do need steam cleaning !

hey, it was a nifty idea :)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024