Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
tazor60397
    Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey fellas im a self taught welder in a factory.... I watched some of the videos ...the welds looked amaizing my question is do you swing the electrode like you would with mild steel ... Ive been havin problems with slag inclusions and im welding with a dinosaur arch welder so do i need the wheel or can i weld stainless with a constant amp welder
tazor60397

Hey fellas im a self taught welder in a factory.... I watched some of the videos ...the welds looked amaizing my question is do you swing the electrode like you would with mild steel ... Ive been havin problems with slag inclusions and im welding with a dinosaur arch welder so do i need the wheel or can i weld stainless with a constant amp welder
Svetsare
    Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am

Yes pretty much same as mild steel, maybe a little bit quicker travelspeed. What are you welding? Stainless pipe or plate?
If you do stainless in anything other then flat position I highly recommend to get some kind of a remote.
tazor60397

Most of what i do is plate .... And flat so that is very helpful thank you very much
tazor60397

The welder we have is a lincon bullet welder ... So like i said its a dinosaur and wont accept a remote
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Svetsare wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rSCF4Q ... e=youtu.be

Here you go, maybe I but a cover pass on it tomorrow.
that's an excellent video, Is that x-ray quality?
I'm amazed that the weld chipp's as easy as it does, and that it isn't crowned up in the middle.
~John
I'm guessing that's is almost impossible without your remote?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Svetsare

Well it is possible to weld this one without a remote, but of course it is a big help, like in any other weld.
In 7018 open root pipe it is much more critical to have a remote, yet it is not a must have even on that one. But it makes everything easier-. Especially if you got a bad fit on your weld, something like a too big cap, etc..
I believe that would pass x-ray, I would be sure if I had a fresh paggage of sticks. But those ones where old. Who knows how many years they had been sucking moisture in a cold carage.. But still they worked really good, i didnt notice anything odd when they burned.

I have been trying to get some footage on 6g stainless pipe, but it is hard to get good camera angles on it..
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

With the stainless electrodes i can see where being able to taper off would work great. Nice set up.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey thanks for posting those vids, I just subscribed to you on YouTube. Cool stuff! Where in Europe are you, and what kind of welding do you do, mostly shop or mostly in-plant, and what type of plant? Saw you weld in paper mills.
Svetsare

I live in Finland, but usually I am working in Sweden in differ, ent locations.
Mostly I weld in factories. In papermills, oil and heat plants. etc..
I do mostly stainless steel pipe welding with stick. But I have certifications for tig also. Both stainless and mild steel.
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

So are you pretty much supposed to run ss rods with the same technique as a 7018?
Svetsare

Well maybe in vertical up plate, just have to move faster on stainless, but pipe welding technique is much different.
Its hard to explain how it is different.
Svetsare

Here is a stainless 6G video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9G-XzRsS4

It was very hard to film this one and some parts are kind of bad.. sorry about that.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Svetsare wrote:Here is a stainless 6G video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9G-XzRsS4

It was very hard to film this one and some parts are kind of bad.. sorry about that.
Sorry for a delay in response. Looks very good to me. I would love to try the remote amp control someday. Your filming was not tha bad, keep up the good work!
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Its amazing!!

Those welds look like garbage going in, but you chip it, and it looks great!!

I'd love to try it sometime. :cry:

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Svetsare

Yes it looks and it is kind of different than anything else. Stick welding this thin material in this position does´t look as good as in the rolling table. But its still possible to put an x-ray quality weld in.
Hope you have a chance to try this someday, its a really good equipment, remote I mean.