Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Murlin
    Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

Ok so I'm going to be a pipeline welder but still in HS, an we're building pipe welding stations now. First, what is the general type/size for rods on the pipeline? Second, what is the term down hand? Also, what do the roots consist of......like how big is the gaps and what are the roots? 6010? GTAW?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Well most pipe lines, like Canadian ones will be 6010 "downhand
Watch this video, because this is mainly what you will be doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN6PbF-s ... 8G0xhj5Xwy
Last edited by AKweldshop on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldRes/videos
watch some off the videos in his channel, hes got some good pipe stuff.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

this guy has lots of pipeline stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xAZAZELx13?feature=watch

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

The term downhand refers to the direction of travel and falls under the API 1104 code. 6010 is the most common rod for downhilling pipe but you might see 70+ or 80+ for the root or as most pipeliners call it the bead. You will need to know how to run 6010 and 7018 up on an Arkansas bellhole test(6G). This is a AWS31.3 test and a lot of companies use it for welder qualifications why I have no clue as it is not even close to the process that will be used on the pipelines. Pipelines are generally welded in stages, tack rig will come thru and tack the pipe together (most of these welders are called single hands and they run company equipment) next would be the beadhand that does the root pass or "bead". Then the firing line does all the fill passes and then the capping crew. After Xray there may be a few guys doing repairs on stuff that didn't pass. Most of the guys welding after the tack rig are rig welders and have all their own equipment. This is the process for "mainline". Fab yard work the rig welder will do everything from tack to cap.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

And for gap and land I like a nickle land and gap for downhand and a dime for up. Nickles down, dimes up.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Murlin

Arizona SA200 wrote:The term downhand refers to the direction of travel and falls under the API 1104 code. 6010 is the most common rod for downhilling pipe but you might see 70+ or 80+ for the root or as most pipeliners call it the bead. You will need to know how to run 6010 and 7018 up on an Arkansas bellhole test(6G). This is a AWS31.3 test and a lot of companies use it for welder qualifications why I have no clue as it is not even close to the process that will be used on the pipelines. Pipelines are generally welded in stages, tack rig will come thru and tack the pipe together (most of these welders are called single hands and they run company equipment) next would be the beadhand that does the root pass or "bead". Then the firing line does all the fill passes and then the capping crew. After Xray there may be a few guys doing repairs on stuff that didn't pass. Most of the guys welding after the tack rig are rig welders and have all their own equipment. This is the process for "mainline". Fab yard work the rig welder will do everything from tack to cap.
thanks a lot!!

Murlin

AKweldshop wrote:Well most pipe lines, like Canadian ones will be 6010 "downhand
this is crazy!!!!

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

If you want crazy on a pipeline - check these !

Murlin wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Well most pipe lines, like Canadian ones will be 6010 "downhand
this is crazy!!!!

Great skill though. :D

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024