Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Arizona...This WHOLE exercise has been about pipe..But I'm goin thru what i consider the logical progression to get there.. the right way..AT THE BOTTOM..U gota have a skeleton before start hangin things...(floors before Columns Beams joist walls)..Now that I have a goal in mind...I can watch & see how this works or don't work in the REAL world..Watch & learn..Then as usual..Analyze it to "DEATH" an develop my own plan of attack..I've been wacthin guys just like you all my life in the shops or anywhere else I've seen it ..and kept ALL the details in my manic little mind..Goin over um...(not just how it works..but WHY it works like that)...SOOO ..A heartfelt thanks goes out to ALL here who chimed in & took the time to help a GREENIE along...AND..to all the guys I,ve met along the way..That were teachin me...But just didn't know it.......Thanks again Guys.....Mike
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Mike, I also like to know not just the how but the why. I guess our minds think alike. I like to know the how and why of different trades too. I've done quite a bit of electrical and I'm still trying to figure out the how and why of the two switches for one light fixture like in a hallway or stairs. Lol that one gets me every time i do it. Best of luck to you sir I have no doubt you will be welding pipe with ease in the near future.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

To quote an ad from the 70's (ladies' razors, panty hose, or some other pandering bullshit),

"You've come a long way, baby!" (Or was that the Virginia Slims cigarette ad?)

Nicely done.

Now, go get that money!

Steve S

LMAO..I used to watch that TOO Steve...Ur givin away your age Bro....rotf...Man...Tell the truth ...Was that some lame shit or what !!!That was right up there with the Hi-Karate & the Aqua Velva commercials....Seriously tho...As far as gettin any money....I don't have any dillusions of my abilities..I GOT LUCKY & COULD PARROT some things i saw...I'M sure..Put along side you guys (steve..Arizona..Jonathon & others i'm sure)in a REAL world environment..More times times than not..I'd be standin there scratchin my ass..Askin for help or why's my puddle layn on the floor ....I mighta made some half assed welds in a couple weeks..But if I do manage to get on...Thats when the "schoolin" begins...BUT....thats Always the way I liked it...YA GOTA PAY TO PLAY....
Attachments
today....
today....
002.JPG (126.66 KiB) Viewed 973 times
week ago
week ago
004.JPG (146.08 KiB) Viewed 973 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike,
What am improvement. See what can be done with perseverance and a little luck ;) Seriously when I look for potential weldors, one thing that is VERY important is the willingness to learn. I see a willingness to learn that I don't normally see. I like to see the drive you have. Keep up the good work!
-Jonathan
Arizona SA200

I agree with Sup. It is obvious you have the willingness to learn this. Being able to learn this on your own albeit with a few written pointers from some guys on the internet is even better. For about the last month i have been working with an older guy who has 54 years in the trade and he is a vast wealth of knowledge for me. I am the, I guess you could say "main welder" for this company and he is our in-house CWI/instructor. He has told me and I agree, you cannot teach a person how to weld, you can only teach the principles on how it is done. The rest is up to them on how they figure it out. To me truer words have never been spoken on this topic. You are a prime example of this, with a little insight from others and a vast amount of drive you have proven it.

[quote=Superiorwelding]
I don't think anyone ever gets it on their first try. I should try to find my first 2" 6G, you would never stop laughing. [/quote]

Mike,
I was digging through some scrap buckets, looking for material on another project, and was surprised to find one of my first 6G attempts. I thought I would share it with you to show that we all start somewhere. If I remember correctly this is actually 2" sch 40 because our test samples hadn't showed up yet.
I am actually starting private lessons for a friend tomorrow and if I weld one out, I will show you the "now" to compare to the "then". Enjoy
-Jonathan
Attachments
6G outside.JPG
6G outside.JPG (141.51 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
6G outside 2.JPG
6G outside 2.JPG (143.02 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
6G root.JPG
6G root.JPG (122.11 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

DDDAAM J...That good for a first weld...If mine looked like that I wouldn't have been whinin...Think them fast freezers are the way to go on pipe......Yea...Went & took the gate tests...Two days later I'm in Mississippi....LOL...Millwright/welder...Todays the cherry....Gettin ready to roll out now....I'll keep ya posted....

mike boyer wrote:DDDAAM J...That good for a first weld...If mine looked like that I wouldn't have been whinin...Think them fast freezers are the way to go on pipe......Yea...Went & took the gate tests...Two days later I'm in Mississippi....LOL...Millwright/welder...Todays the cherry....Gettin ready to roll out now....I'll keep ya posted....
Kemper power plant project? If so, I'll be interested to hear your take on it. I've heard more bad than good, regarding safety, supervision, and "politics", but it's usually the unhappy people that speak loudest.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

mike boyer wrote:DDDAAM J...That good for a first weld...If mine looked like that I wouldn't have been whinin...Think them fast freezers are the way to go on pipe......Yea...Went & took the gate tests...Two days later I'm in Mississippi....LOL...Millwright/welder...Todays the cherry....Gettin ready to roll out now....I'll keep ya posted....

So you Passed the plate tests????

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Well Gang...after 4 hrs of orientation & safety..Got sent to the motel (with pay..LOL)...Wiz tester was a no show today...Steve..When I'm done...(2 months) I can yak all I want about it....These guys were ANAL bout cell phones, cameras an security..(The machine they shipped over is completely covered up) It's not an AMERICAN company..But it is a US contractor....We can pull 7/12's if we want..Sundays are double time..Machinist background got the Millwright end of it for me..AND AK ..Did the weld test in Tampa last week..Just had to do the vert..Guy said that was enuf..I was one big headed dog ALL the way home...LMAO...SOOO...Im Gonna Wack the time clock...Stash some cash...And save up for PIPE school...That..I'm gona need serious training for...That ain't coming like the plate did...Whats the GOOD schools for that??? Steve..Saw one from your neck a the woods..ARCPRO outa Mobile..Ever heard of um????

Good luck.
~John ;)

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

mike boyer wrote:Well Gang...after 4 hrs of orientation & safety..Got sent to the motel (with pay..LOL)...Wiz tester was a no show today...Steve..When I'm done...(2 months) I can yak all I want about it....These guys were ANAL bout cell phones, cameras an security..(The machine they shipped over is completely covered up) It's not an AMERICAN company..But it is a US contractor....We can pull 7/12's if we want..Sundays are double time..Machinist background got the Millwright end of it for me..AND AK ..Did the weld test in Tampa last week..Just had to do the vert..Guy said that was enuf..I was one big headed dog ALL the way home...LMAO...SOOO...Im Gonna Wack the time clock...Stash some cash...And save up for PIPE school...That..I'm gona need serious training for...That ain't coming like the plate did...Whats the GOOD schools for that??? Steve..Saw one from your neck a the woods..ARCPRO outa Mobile..Ever heard of um????
You'd be surprised just more hood time and you'll pick up pipe just like you did plate. Just a bunch of little things coming together will make a big difference. Congrats on passing the test man.
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

ArcPro huh... The list as far as equipment provided to the student sounds like a joke for what you are paying for.
What kinds of welding helmet is provided? I'd be happy with the Fibre-Metal but come on!

Stainless is the only plus I see along with proper gas I hope>?

Mike Boyer- Hey man where are you located in the FL? Fortunately our school in Pensacola has somewhat of a successful turnover( if you can call it that). We have connections with Performance Contractors that are located in Mobile, Lousiana, and also a couple other places as well. http://www.performance-br.com/ - I think this is them, I haven't asked for an interview yet because I'm short for Tig Pipe. We get about 1200 hours to complete our vocational credits in Pensacola.

Btw, I have heard very good things from Tulsa welding school

2014-03-24_14-52-07_547.jpg
2014-03-24_14-52-07_547.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Hey Gang....Im still alive..(barely..LOL)..things are goin great...My boss is lettin me run a couple beads here & there on the machines I'm building...I shuda never said anything bout bein a millwright..BUT....I do have some GREAT news....One of the guys I met has a 56 Short hood i'm buyin..( that runs good & welds SSSWWEET !!!) Can't believe Im gettn the Holy Grail of pipe welders for my first....Born the same year as me to boot...lmao!!! Well snuck a few pics the other day...I'll keep a runnin update...
Attachments
Me in the shades
Me in the shades
2014-03-20_09-52-47_308.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Last edited by mike boyer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arizona SA200

How are you going to say that you are getting an SA200 without posting pictures. Let alone a SHORTHOOD! I must see pictures. I hope the job is going well and a score like an old shorty makes it even better.

I am glad you are liking your new gig. Look at that weld...looks like you have been doing this for years! I too want pics of your short hood. I would love to pick one up some day, if nothing else just to say I have one. Keep us posted.
-Jonathan

Mike Boyer,

What job is that last pic from? I'd swear I know that black guy on the right...

Steve S

Awritey then.....Pics it is...lol.....I'm managing to keep my ol ass awake to do the show & tell thing...Just for YOU guys...Just got the word this am...I can go direct when my times up with the headhunter...Was glad to hear that....6 weeks jst turned into 4 months....I awta leave here with a nice used dually to pull this sweeet thing....LMAO
Attachments
2014-04-07_18-16-51_429.jpg
2014-04-07_18-16-51_429.jpg (44.06 KiB) Viewed 945 times
2014-04-07_18-16-39_309.jpg
2014-04-07_18-16-39_309.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Nice rig,
I'm working for an SA400 8-)

Here's the link.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38 ... oody-SA400

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Mike,
Very nice....What is the starting bid? Do I hear....$
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Mike,
Very nice....What is the starting bid? Do I hear....$
-Jonathan
You mean me???

I'm gonna try and fix her up.

If you need a machine, I'll sell you this one.

But I keep the leads. :D

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38 ... e-about-it

~John ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200

Good score Mike. Looks to be in good shape.
Arizona SA200

Here's mine when it was going back together.