Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Well gang....After what seemed like breezin through the plate stuff...I got ambitous as "Superior" put it and tried some 6" pipe 1/4 wall in 5&6G...LOL...OMG was it FFFUGLY...3-12 was ok :roll: being the first attempt..3-6 is drip city..What's the trick??? I know thermal dynamics is workin against me roolin uphill & the fact I'm shakin & outa position..NOT TO MENTION..My newbie ass is expectin miracles...But I can see this pipe is WAY different than plate...Keeping rod angle & travel speed,arc length,not to mention my OLD ass is havin to move like it hasn't in 30 years...I'm still MISSIN something I think..Something my brain ain't seein as far as technique & procedure..The fixes that seemed to come easy on plate....I'm all ears guys...Pipe is what I'm REALLY wantin to get...Jump in..Let's here from the BIG DOGS..LMAO...Thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

One of the biggest issues when transitioning from plate to pipe, is that in plate practice, you work in two dimensions... Your angle to the material remains the same throughout the weld.

On pipe, you're constantly making a slow transition from one "plate" position to another, and your hands aren't used to making that motion.

Be patient. One day, you'll wonder why it seemed difficult.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Be patient. One day, you'll wonder why it seemed difficult.

Steve S
I don't think anyone ever gets it on their first try. I should try to find my first 2" 6G, you would never stop laughing. It sounds like to me that you are going through the normal learning process. Yes pipe is a totally different animal than anything else. I do look back now on different things, like aluminum TIG, and wonder why I struggled so much.
Next week I will pull out some 6" sch 80 and give it a go.
-Jonathan

Yea ..Steve ..Jonathon...My little world was shattered...LMAO...It's transition & body position for sure....I WILL GET IT...Just I've always been fortunate to be able to "think things out" plate was easy i seemed..But.. Bein OLD,SHAKY & the other side of 3 heart attacks & quadruple by-pass..it's taken it's toll...BUT I WILL GET THIS...Just 8'nt gonna be in my usual time frame..Like ol Jack use to tell me...U 8'nt gona let that piece a metal out smart your dumb ass are ya...Good ol Jack..LOL..Steve..Jonathon...3-6..with this thin walled pipe..I'm thinkin i awta be takin litle sectores ..ie..6to 4..let it cool..reposition..4-2..cool...insteada tryin to run 6-12..right off the get go anyway...thoughts???..after all...I am just learnin the weldin game....You guys probly DROPPED more rods than I've ever seen...I appreciate your input..Thanks again....OUCH...Just when I thought I was gettin somewhere...LMAO...Dammit Man....HAHA

Mike,
I don't believe you will let this get the best of you! While I wouldn't make it a habit, which you are not, I don't think there is anything wrong with practicing every two inches or so. I think this will show you what position you will be in for the next set of welds. Take note of how your body moves and the angle of your rod as you adjust. I never actually thought of doing it like that before, but I think it can still teach. Having fun and learning are the important things when you are practicing. You never know, tomorrow you might post pictures that would make us all blush :)
-Jonathan

Jonathan..From what I saw yesterday...Your faces probably would be red....With jackd up blood pressure levels..from laffin ur asses off....Anyway..I thought about this all last night..For starters...Ive got no heat sink with this thin wall..Runnin 1/8 insteada 3/32 is compounding the problem..It's painfully obviuos I gota start usein some greymatter on this......Hey...Do you guys smell smoke too???? lol

Lookin at the pipe I bn butcherin...Kinda reminded me of a clint eastwood movie...The Good,Bad & the ugly..LOL.... PLUS it started rainin so I packed up my taco stand & went into the garage...broke out the Tig & gave that a whirl too...I REALLY LIKE THE TIG guys....I think thats more my speed.. I'm gona seriously dedicate some time to that...Well here's todays progress...
Attachments
the GOOD..Today am
the GOOD..Today am
011.JPG (150.45 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
the BAD...yesterday pm
the BAD...yesterday pm
002.JPG (138.25 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
the UGLY...yesterday am
the UGLY...yesterday am
004.JPG (146.08 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Anyone that has welded pipe will tell you that it takes longer to learn it than plate does. Getting your hand to remember it needs to go in a circle and maintain arc gap, travel speed and a consistent weave is a chore. You'll get it, it just takes time.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

Well its all in how you look at it, I see good, better and best.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I will get you guys the pic of my first vertical weld. Then I'll get you the pic of my current vertical weld.
I'll see if you guys can tell the difference. ;)
~John

Ps. is I can find that first weld, I think its on a trailer somewhere. :)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I wish I had one of my first welds. At the time we are all in a hurry to just throw it away, but in these cases we sure can learn from them
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

When you're on the bottom of your pipe you really want to focus on keeping a tight arc otherwise you will get droopy looking welds.

Thanks dylan...It's obvious Im a mile away om most of them..Some are from shakin..Others from goin ata snails pace...Somethin PISSED me off yesterday and i just lit up and sarted runin uphill and didnt think about anything..DAM... was I surprised..It was the best lookin one yet!!! I was on to somethin..I was loose and just lettin it drag uphill...I just came off a piece a 3/4 inch plate.Was at 115 amps with a 1/8, 7018..I think the thing I been doin wrong is GRIPPN the stinger like a cobra..Tryin to control it to "exactly ..When I was learnin to use a paint brush,I was doin the same thing..An OLD painter told me ..If you aint dropn that brush once & a while..you holdin on to tight...I'm thinkn this just might work the same way...Only time will tell...
DylanWelds

That's a very good thing to have realized and do. I did the same when I was in school. It's a bad habit that is easy to fall into because naturally you think you will control it better when gripping so tight yet it ends up doing the oppsoite. Experiment with your amps too. All through school I ran 7018 1/8 from like 100-115 and since I started working at a shipyard some of the more experienced guys run theirs up to 135 amps. I've recently found I like 130. Also make sure you're not getting too far ahead of your puddle too quickly, that will help make your bead look a lot more consistent. Any new pics?

backside of TIG root
backside of TIG root
013.JPG (140.04 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
TIG ROOT
TIG ROOT
001.JPG (150.09 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
overhead 1/8 7018 1st pass
overhead 1/8 7018 1st pass
016.JPG (68.92 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Yo Dylan...Weathers been kinda shity so I had to go under cover..Been playn with the Tig function on this little green machine...I THINK TIGS what I like...Here's some shots of my very first attempts..LOL..A root(like I said..attempts) on 3/8 plate open root..knife & 3/32 ...@ 120amps..1/8 70rS6 ..don't have 3/32 or 1/16 filler rod..forgot to turn on the gas first inch or so...(freakin rookies) & this is junkyard metal i got for free that I tried to clean up...(forgot to grind the backside) and some overhead plate I played with..
Last edited by mike boyer on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

OVERHEAD
OVERHEAD
020.JPG (145.13 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
OVERHEAD 3rd PASS
OVERHEAD 3rd PASS
017.JPG (146.11 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
TIG ROOT AGAIN
TIG ROOT AGAIN
010.JPG (71.29 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Last edited by mike boyer on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wow you are moving right along! Everything is looking great. So are you more confident now in what you are doing?

Better than when I stared 2 weeks ago(3 weeks now)....When I can make it look EFFORTLESS like that BAT shit crazy canadian boy fieldres...and my beads look like his do...THEN I might say It;s ok..Till something better comes along...LMAO......That kid IS awsome in my opinion..You ever seen his open root no helmet downhand vid????..If I jumped around like he does..Slag would be on the neighbors HOUSE...

Jonatha...No BS....You think I cud pass a 3-4G plate test now....Gota buddy that says he cud get me on with an Ironworker crew if i cud test & pass....I know I don't really know sh** yet..But....This does seem kinda easy so far..I been doin all kinds a stuff,,up & down hand plate on 45's & kicked at crazy compound angles..Seems like I can just see what to do with the rod...The PIPE...HAHA Thats a challenge..But it ain't near as bad as the first day or two...Whata you think man???honest...Shud I go for it??
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Yes, fieldres is a great channel. He doesn't get the respect he deserves though.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FieldRes/videos

Mike, your welds are looking great, I can't believe you've been welding a few weeks!!!!
practice practice practice....
That's how I learned.
Scrap angle and flat bar, AC225 and 1/8 7018 at 145amps....
You've got a great learning machine, And your 7018 is coming along great!!!

~John

Fieldres does a few less technical videos that go back to the basics, like this one. :arrow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fFkHfHg6Qo
Last edited by AKweldshop on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Mike,
Keep a few things in mind when talking about testing for a job. You might be able to pass a "test" but can you adapt to the job? I have seen a few that could pass a welding test with flying colors, but when asked to weld something out side their norm, they fell flat on their face. I would say if you can do the 3G the same as you are doing 4G, go for it. In my opinion, the 4G is easier than the 3G though. I failed my first 1G stick because of slag inclusion and was so mad I went back and welded up a new piece and passed. Point is if you don't get it on the first try, you can always try again. From what I have seen in your welds you absolutely have a shot, but would advise that whichever test you go for, you need to practice that test until you are dreaming about it, then go take it. We take all our tests in house, (except D1.5) so I am able to get very comfortable with the machine and surroundings but when going to a lab or work place, things really change, so knowing the test will be a huge help to you.
Arizona SA200

If you have learned that much in three weeks i would say you will be able to adapt to the welding end of ironwork easily. When i was doing iron most guys had problems being up in the air while your hood is down. I liked it, i even welded cell towers for a while. 150' up? no problem.

Thanks guys for the supportive comments..Arizona...the height thing won't be a problem...(atleast it wasn't when I was in my 20's & early 50's) lol....Rodbuster,rigger & finally connector up in Middlesex Maryland when I was a kid..I helped fab a coal plant extraction system in steamboat springs in 09..same buddy thats gettin me on again...I ask him to let me try & weld when the pusher wasn't up top...I burnt a TOTAL of 2-3" of a 7018 before he snatched it outa my hand & said you suck..your gona get us both run off with crap like that...LOL..I sent um some of those pics I been postin..An he actually ask me who I paid to do those welds..LMAO..I got another week to burn it up & get comfortable...I'll keep you guys posted..here's a pic or two of Colorodo..
Attachments
The weldors..
The weldors..
IMG_3898.JPG (43.47 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
It was COLD that day.. silver duct & blowers I set....
It was COLD that day.. silver duct & blowers I set....
IMG_3890.JPG (68.58 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
DylanWelds

Just practice all you can this next week mike. I used to have a habit of going too quickly when people were 2 aching me, had to really focus on letting everything wash in. One thing I always keep in mind is a saying that was on a poster in my school "when the hoods down, it's just you and the metal". Keep us updated with more pics on your progress!
Arizona SA200

Well if you aint afraid of hights the sky is the limit but if you want the cash its inside that pipe but don't let the dollars dictate what you enjoy.