Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
william74
    Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Hello, I am having a little trouble getting the Z weave down. I am using 7018 3/32 on a Vertical uphill joint. Most of trouble is the weave either not tying in good or holding toes long enough. When i hold corners and the problem startes on the middle. It just doesn't seem to tie in fluid. Looks like unsealed joint when doing the weave. been on z weave for a minute. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

william74,
Can you get a pic up? First response sounds like maybe you need to hold the sides , say for a count of two, and sweep across the middle. Another way to do it is a upside down V. Jody has very good videos to help you with this.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/sti ... -test.html
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/sti ... part2.html
Keep us posted.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

The thing to remember with vert stick is that you need to keep the arc length constant across the middle, ( what mig does for you) so your Z weave also needs to incorporate a ^ motion into the root of the joint. Otherwise you will end up with a slag inclusion right up the middle. (on the root run only)

Hope this helps.

Mick
william74
    Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Sorry no pics I had my smartphone stolen so basic flip style for now. Videos are awesome though so I think need hold toes longer and make sure puddle comes with. The only question it looks like in one video weave looks like a upside smiley face and not a Z pattern. Or am I overthinking? Will try get a pic Monday to post. Thanks.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Yep i like to say that the movements should be something like this. )))))))))))) the upwards movement isnt from z ing across the middle but from stacking the "ripples" on top of each other, pause at each edge, cruise across the middle, and take a bit of fresh plate each time. around half a rod diam.
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

The thing to remember with vert stick is that you need to keep the arc length constant across the middle, ( what mig does for you) so your Z weave also needs to incorporate a ^ motion into the root of the joint. Otherwise you will end up with a slag inclusion right up the middle. (on the root run only)

Hope this helps.

Mick

This bugs the hell out of me with crowning when trying to get a clean cap on vertical pipe- 5oclock to 2oclock