Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Murlin
    Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

Here we go agin! Hahahaha, I have another question, what is the motion for the 6010 or whatever rod used on open root down hill pipe, like big pipeline pipe? A whip motion or shove it in there an let it ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen most people, with the right root and landing, crank up the heat and shove it in and drag. This is a good one for Otto Nobedder, cause I've read some of his posts and thats what he does. Check out FieldRes on YouTube and xAZAZELx13 as well, both show down hand roots.
Murlin

maintmech1245 wrote:I'm no expert, but from what I've seen most people, with the right root and landing, crank up the heat and shove it in and drag. This is a good one for Otto Nobedder, cause I've read some of his posts and thats what he does. Check out FieldRes on YouTube and xAZAZELx13 as well, both show down hand roots.
Ok thanks.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lCWc7V ... S0a3oZrDNg
Here's a good video on the downhand "bury-rod" technique. Good arc-shots.
Check it out.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I bury it in with a hand on my ditch box to adjust amperage if i don't have a helper.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Murlin wrote: A whip motion or shove it in there an let it ride?

Let It ride!! Bury it in there and roll.
Murlin

Superiorwelding wrote:
Murlin wrote: A whip motion or shove it in there an let it ride?

Let It ride!! Bury it in there and roll.
ok awesome!!!

Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

When you're talking mainline pipe its hot and fast. If you are running the bead as a rig hand doing the whip and pause you cant keep up with your brother in law and that means you are down the road.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

maintmech1245 wrote:I'm no expert, but from what I've seen most people, with the right root and landing, crank up the heat and shove it in and drag. This is a good one for Otto Nobedder, cause I've read some of his posts and thats what he does. Check out FieldRes on YouTube and xAZAZELx13 as well, both show down hand roots.
It's too bad FieldRes suddenly stopped making YouTube videos. He is awesome at stick welding. AZAZEL's field videos kick butt too.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
maintmech1245
    Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Tombstone wrote:
It's too bad FieldRes suddenly stopped making YouTube videos. He is awesome at stick welding. AZAZEL's field videos kick butt too.
I agree fieldres and Jody are the best. I learned great things from him I couldn't believe it when he vacated. I hope he decides to come back soon..
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

I've got another question to add if I may:
I have been trying to get the best of penetration and reinforcement when on pipe, Working with 6" sch40. 3/32 gap. 30 degree bevel. closer to 1/8 Land. When running the root I have the amps at 77-80, and been giving the whip kind of a circular motion. What do the pros recommend on smaw to get the best root reinforcement? I can get the tacks with just the amount I'm looking for on the inside- but that's all they will be is just tacks.
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

I crank it up nd let it ride and do a slight side to side motion to make sure I'm really tying into both sides when running downhill open root
chriso
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Tombstone wrote:
FieldRes is back again.
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

And so we have heard,
Really a great youtube guy.