Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Hey, got a question for some of you more experienced guys. I've been gearing up to take a Xray for my job. The cert I got from school is on 6 inch pipe and it seems everything gets hotter a lot quicker and my root doesn't go in as easy. A few of the guys I work with have showed me the way they do it and they all seem to have their own method but most use a very thin gap and and just jam it in there and just drag it up. I'm used to whip n pausing it up but I'm having trouble doing this on smaller pipe without everything getting too hot.

I guess my question is what settings would you use on this, what method, and what gap?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
DylanWelds

Thanks for the links but I shouldve said 6010 root. I can cap nicely and normally do a root pretty damn good but smaller pipe is giving me issues.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

no problem.
Hope this helps.

http://welding-tv.com/2013/12/17/6g-6010-root/

Also here's a 2g test with good arc shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDaYR4UfcDA
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Ok here is my angle on it. I run a tight gap about 1/16 and about the same for a land.I would run about 75 amps on the bottom quarters of it and down to 70 72 on the top quarters. I drag it and when i say drag it i mean rod angle is about 15 degrees above center line of the pipe when going up hill. If you have very little to no spatter on the outside of the pipe it should be going good. You shouldn't see any arc on the outside of the pipe just look for the v that is formed behind the electrode. If you see one side not getting the fill it needs give the rod a little side pressure in that direction. Feather all tacks back so that you ensure good penetration for the transition to avoid that little smile on the inside of the root. Once you hear it close up when you hit the tack keep going for a bit. Make sure your fit up is good. When it jambs up on you (it will on this small of a gap) re slot it with a cut off wheel and regrind the bevel so your root face is the same you had it. I hope this helps you and if you have more ??? ask away.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Sorry should have said this is not the whip and pause its the bury rod technique. Its a lot faster and i feel produces a more consistent root.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
DylanWelds

Here is a coupon I did yesterday staying late at work. I turned the machine down to like 60 amps to do the root. When I tacked it I didn't pen et rate all the way in one spot so I figured I'd just grind it down real thin and burn through when tying in but it didn't work out that way so I have a small spot where you can see I didn't get through but other than that I think I've made some progress yesterday. Cant wait till Monday to try some more.

hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Looks like Jody and the weld monger store needs to add the TIG ELBOW!