Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
DCALLWELD
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I am a rig welder and do manly repair work to heavy equipment and structural work as of now. I am looking to get more in to the pipe side of things so to speak. I have been practicing on some 6'' shc 40 with some 6010 uphill root and 7018 uphill cap. Getting better with it, after practice. I just recently got a 7' drop of 12'' shc 40 and was going to "play" pipe line in my back yard. Now I am understanding its a down hill root using 6010 but , what is used for a cap? I am understanding its down hill as well and we have all seen the puddle pass up a 7018 down hill. I am running a miller pipe pro as well does any one have any settings in mind for that machine , also what electrode is used for the cap ? thanks
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's a video on 6010 downhill, he's rolling the pipe but you can see he shoves the rod in there and goes like mad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lCWc7V ... S0a3oZrDNg
7018 will be uphill as usual.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
DCALLWELD

Ok but I'm I'm talking about cross country pipe line and have head something to the affect that it's dun down hill for faster time . They have also said a 70's series rod or 80's rod is that a 7010 or 8010 they are talking about?

Ok, there doing it all down hill round and round.
here's a decent video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HWqMC6ykEk

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

and here's the cap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2EdF9j5sNw

Hope this helps,
~John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

DCALLWELD wrote:Ok but I'm I'm talking about cross country pipe line and have head something to the affect that it's dun down hill for faster time . They have also said a 70's series rod or 80's rod is that a 7010 or 8010 they are talking about?
Yep, it's common on pipeline to weld all downhill, usually 6010 root, and sometimes the hot pass, for good control, then another --10 rod the rest of the way. There are 7010, 8010, and 9010 rods. I'd have to look, but there may be higher tensile --10 rods as well, since there is a 11018 rod...

Steve S
DCALLWELD

Ok thanks for the video links and ok that's what I was thinking on the 70... Series rods I just wanted to be sure befor I by 50 lbs to practice and find out I have the wrong rods and settings down , thanks to both fist time to use a form in my life and seamed pretty easy and helpful.
DCALLWELD

ok just got one last question so if the only difference in the 6010 and 7010,,,8010 is strength , they should all have the came welding characteristics. With that being said I could just practice with the 6010 all the way out and should be able to do the same thing when I use the higher strength rods correct?

You are correct. these all rods perform similar.
I've used Lincoln 6010 and Lincoln 8010, couldn't tell much difference.
Same with 7018 and 8018.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

6010 is the most common for the root but i have heard of 70+ being used for a root pass. 70+ 80+ are usually fill and cap rods. 6010 7010and 8010 all weld so close to the same practicing with 6010 will be fine. I prefer the lincoln 5P+ over the 5P it runs a lot nicer and is closer to running 70+ and 80+. It is common to see large diameter rod like 5/32 and 3/16" for the fill and cap so keep that in mind. If you plan on mainlining get a ditch box you will need it. As for the amperage on that pipe pro I'd start around 80 ish for 1/8". I'm not a big Miller engine drive guy but ive heard they are pretty good.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.