Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
stiltner27
    Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Hello . My dad gave me some welding rods that are hobarts17091 . He said the where very expensive . They weld really smooth .they have a pink flux on them . I fill like I'm over thinking this but buy chart they don't make sense . Does anyone know about these rods ?? Thanks!
stiltner27

stiltner27 wrote:Hello . My dad gave me some welding rods that are hobarts17091 . He said the where very expensive . They weld really smooth .they have a pink flux on them . I fill like I'm over thinking this but buy chart they don't make sense . Does anyone know about these rods ?? Thanks!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

stiltner27,
They are 308L stainless rods, I'm not sure what you're welding with them, but it would be a waste to just practice on mild steel with them. They are made to weld 300 series stainless (304 mostly) and the -17 is the position, which if I remember right is flat and the L is for Low Carbon.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

stiltner27

Thanks for the info . I've only used two out of a ten pound box .
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Most ss stick rods run as smooth as a babies bum.

Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Some do - but most SS rod in the UK also runs in all directions unless in 1G position - absolutely dreadful rods ( except some Soudometal ones that I can't find anymore ! ) - I can't explain it - but we seem to have some of the nicest 6013 known to man & mostly the worst of everything else ! I also tried all the LWS & looked on the internet to try & buy some 6010 just to say I'd tried it - but I reckon outside of the US their like hens teeth ! - did find some un-branded mystery 6011 once on Ebay - not convinced I want to experiment though as people here seem to hate on the 6011 .
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

noddybrian wrote:Some do - but most SS rod in the UK also runs in all directions unless in 1G position - absolutely dreadful rods ( except some Soudometal ones that I can't find anymore ! ) - I can't explain it - but we seem to have some of the nicest 6013 known to man & mostly the worst of everything else ! I also tried all the LWS & looked on the internet to try & buy some 6010 just to say I'd tried it - but I reckon outside of the US their like hens teeth ! - did find some un-branded mystery 6011 once on Ebay - not convinced I want to experiment though as people here seem to hate on the 6011 .
Should be plenty of good 6010 and 6011 available in uk.
bohler 6010 are a very good rod, hard on the machine and pricey though.lincoln 5p are available in rapid welding, heard good things but never tried em
esab nu5 are a handy 6011.easy on the machine to run, about €100 for a 20kg tin
Dancing with the blue lady