Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
gundog
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 pm

I am looking to set up in my shop. Can anyone chime in on the Miller 150 tig stick. All my Millers at work are xmt's etc. I was thinking the 150 would run 3-32 and 1-8 good judging by the spec. I would combine this with a Miller 211 anything the 211 can not handle the 150 would. After using machines with all the bells and whistles I just do not want to get a machine that does not cut it. I have used a lot of welders in my life just not the new small ones still a bit old school I guess.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

First off, welcome to the forum!!!!
What all kind off stuff you going to be welding on? That can be the limiting factor....
~John :)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
gundog

My limiting factor is my plug has a 40 amp breaker. Will a 40 amp breaker work for a 150? Can anyone give me what the breaker needs to be for the 150 according to the book? There seems to be enough amps to weld 3/32 or even 1/8 just worried the 40 amps will not cut it.
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

I can tell ya it runs 1/8 6011 on 110v 20 amp breaker no probs. I hear it won't do 6010 due to the ocv being too low. Didn't try it though. 90 amps was max for 110v so if I wanted to run 1/8 6013 or 7018 I would have had to switch to 230v. Only reason I didn't go 230v for this was I would've had to chop up cable and make an adapter and I didn't really need to.
Nick
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Is it the Maxstar 150 you are talking about? If it is, Miller's web site says max amp draw at 1115V is 28A and at 230V it is 21.6A. The machine is equipped with a 30A plug so the 40 amps you have available will be sufficient.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

I'm guessing your talking about the Maxstar 150stl?
here's the pdf
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC27-1.pdf

Hope this helps.
~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
gundog

After looking maybe I need to change my question to would a 200 str be a better choice then a 150 stl. The tig is secondary to the stick aspectbut still nice. The duty cycle of the 150 I can live with but the 200 is more money. If nothing else this has me looking at the new tec stuff out there. Sure has changed in 30 years. I remember the first inverters and thinking what a dream you can take it up on the iron small and light weight, nothing to what is out there now. My main concern is to be able to pick up up where the 211 ends. With a 40 amp breaker and I have to admit I just like the looks of the 211.
Arizona SA200

I would say go as big as you can afford. I think the 200 would still be fine on a 40A breaker. My 251 will do fine on a 40, can't get to max but no big deal. I think the 211 has a 30A plug too. I've run one and they are sweet little machines.
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

I have had both the 150STH and SyncroWave 200SD (on the DC side, pretty comparable to 200 you mentioned). Both will run off a 30 amp breaker, the 200 prefers a 40 if running at the top of the range though. As others have said, the 150 does not like 6010 rods, yes you can lay down a weld with them, but it is far from optimal. They will run 6011s better in my opinion, but still not as well as it's big brother.

-- Pete
gundog

I think I have settled in on the 200str and the 211 for a mig welder. The combo would handle anything put to it that I will ask of it. I am now thinking about a 625 0r a 375 plasma.

I think you'll be set with those welder machines you picked.
I would opp for the larger plasma machine (your choice really) ;)

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
gundog

And the fact that the welders can go 115 does not hurt. The whole shop will have a portability theme to it. Just thinking of a mag drill instead of a drill press. Any body out there use a mag drill instead of a drill press? I was thinking of making a stand that lifts it up.
DSL power
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:39 pm

If your going to cut anything over 1/4in get the 625! Its a nice little plasma.
Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
Suitcase Extreme 8VS
ThermalArc Cutmaster 52
Everlast Power I-TIG 255EXT
Arizona SA200

On the plasma side of things i prefer O/A cutting of anything over 1/4 if done manually. Just my preference.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On carbon steels tha CAN be O/A cut, I agree completely with Arizona...

3/8" and above I'll O/A cut (almost) every time. Long straight cuts, I'll still use the Plaz, with a fence, but my freehand cuts always come out better on heavy stuff with O/A

Steve S

gundog wrote: Just thinking of a mag drill instead of a drill press. Any body out there use a mag drill instead of a drill press? I was thinking of making a stand that lifts it up.
Those Mag drills with the anuler cutters are the sweetest tools out their....
Those are the only things for truck bed/and frame work.

I'm looking at getting a Hougen.
Anybody have one??
Over a Milwaukee?

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

You know when I read the idea about using a mag drill instead of purchasing a drill press a few days ago, my first response was I would not do it, but upon further thought it may not be a bad idea. I am not saying the mag drill will ultimately replace the drill press but with some thought and fabrication, I think you could have a very versatile tool.

John,
I have a Jancy and absolutely love it. I will be weighing out the option of renting a Hougen here soon. I will have to drill 4-8, 7/8" holes into 3/4" T1 and I am limited on height. If/when I rent one I can give you a better review. I have been told the frame size ones are good, for what they are designed to do.

When did this thread get high-jacked? :lol:
-Jonathan
gundog

Superiorwelding. I seen a utube where a fellow made a stand for the mag drill. I have used mag drills of all sizes for years. Now with the ability to move the bit and leave the mag base attached makes it sweet. I do a lot of 5/8 holes. With a 2 inch bit It would cover all my needs. You can always switch from annular to a Jacobs chuck if needed. A little thought on the stand and your in business. Yes I to prefer the torch instead of a plasma for thicker steel. Reality is both are needed in a shop. If I do get a mag drill I will post pics. I have to wait for some snow to melt so I can get my shop in order before any projects.