Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
utsikt
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 am

Hello all, been trying to find some info on wrapping corners. IE welding lifting lugs in flat,horz,vert and OH. I have been practising on T joints but I find I undercut the vertical plate when I wrap. Also when welding a vertical lug do you just run the two sides into each other at the top? Cause everyone tells me never to have a restart on a corner? I don't see how someone can wrap the top and bottom of a vertical lug with out welding a little vert down to tie the beads in. Thanks for taking a look.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum utsitk.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

We did a lot of wrapping of corners back in my shipyard days.

Okay, say you have a vertical mounted lifting lug.
On the bottom you start bottom center and wrap around one corner and do about an inch of vertical up.
Grind back your start, Light up on the ground start and wrap the other corner the same way.

The top wrap you start on the vertical and stop top center. The wrap from the other side you slightly pass the first stop
with the second stop. You will find that you have to grind and blend in all those starts and stops for a visual and magnetic particle inspection.

Big myth? Grinding weakens welds?

Sometimes grinding actually makes them stronger. Don't be afraid to grind, blend and polish things like wrap-arounds.
utsikt
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 am

Right on thanks. Anyone have any pictures or vids of corner wraps like on a T joint or something?