Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Skillets365
    Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm currently in school and I'm having a problem with my root. I'm do really good on the fill and cap with 7018 but, the root with 6011, I'm suckin with.

I'm currently run on 85 Amps with a 1/8 gap and landing. Using a 1/8 6011 rod.

I have been reading lately that I could use 3/32 gap and landing. Is that true? And if so, how is it different then 1/8 gap and landing?

Also, while running the root do I keep the rod at the top of the landing and let the rod burn through? Or do I press the rod through the landing out the back?

Also, it 85 too hot?
Skillets365

I'm running on 85 Amps with 1/8 face and Gap using a 1/8 6011.

While I'm welding should I put the rod on the top of the face and let the rod burn through? Or push it through?

Can I drag it or is whip and pause better?

And if I whip and pause do I whip the whole rod width or about half?

What's the right amperage? I'm using 85. Can I start lower?

Also, can I use a 3/32 gap and face with a 1/8 rod?

If so, what's the difference in 1/8 and 3/32?

Thank you
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

What problems are you having with the root???

~John

ps. welcome to the forum. :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Skillets365

I was blowing out the key hole...

I figured out the speed I need and amperage.

Also another problem I had was not preparing my plates right. Landing was a little off, gap was a little off.. Or a high-low problem with the plates.

It's a fine line :)
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Keep a tight arc, when you long arc there will be more heat input which can cause you to keyhole out too big. For open root I like to run about 75 amps so 85 does seem a bit hot too me although sometimes for field welds I will run 85 (but most of the times the gap is not constant due to rough fit up circumstances). I would try running on 75. Don't be afraid to experiment with amperage, for 2 inch pipe coupons I work with people who go as low as 65 and still pass xray.
Skillets365

Yep... That's was my problem. The weld arc.... I was long arcing way to much.

Does the gap and landing need to be the same size as the rod (1/8) or can I go smaller and a little tighter?
DylanWelds

I would keep the landing about an 1/8 but the gap you can close a bit. I like to use a 3/32 gap myself if possible
Skillets365

Thanks man, I'll try the 3/32 gaps this week.

Can I do circular motions with the 6010 on 3G plate? Or Is it only whip and pause and dragging?
DylanWelds

You can do that if it works for you. Some people I work with do sort of a back and forth to ensure that they are tying in both plates/pipes together fully. As long as your tied in on both sides with good penetration you should be good to go in my eyes. Are you in welding school currently?
Skillets365

Yes I'm in welding school.. I have done a lot better since I have been reading this forum and getting tips on what I need to do. I have passed the 3G plate. On to over head