Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
socal
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:30 am

Hello every one i'm a new guy here but i dont know where to do a intro so please point to it and i will post it there.
i have a question i have to weld a I-beam to a base plate. the I-beam a 10 by 8 3/8 thick and the plate is 1 inch thick. what would be the best way to weld it and what size rod would i use? i was thinking of using 7018 1/8 but am not sure since i dont really weld anything that thick. what i am doing is putting a I-beam under my car port to one sit my rafters on and two to be able to pull engine and what not with it.
weldmaster36602
    Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm

a 7018 1/8 is fine for the welding on the i beam how good of a welder are you cuz if u put a bunch of buble gum on it and pull one of ur prized hotrods r whatever kind of car under it and go to pull the motor and it falls then u just sol since i do not know much about you i am gona say this make sure that u clean the weld every time u start or stop and a bevel on the end of the beam wouldnt hurt and the usual setting for a 7018 1/8 is from 125 to 140 depending on how hot u are comfortable welding any less then 125 and u might end up wit a falling beam