Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've watched plenty of videos on YouTube and I I've always seen a down hill fill and cap on pipe? Is it just me missing something or is that actually what there doing? An if yes what kind rods are they using?
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

They use pipeliner rods, 7010,8010, and 9010....
Mainly because they can do it faster that 7018, 8018, or 9018 uphill.
They make a low-hydrogen rods, made for vertical down, called 8045.
I would like to get a box of them....
But, the reason your seeing downhill capping on pipe, is that there using xx10 rods.
Those guys can outrun a 7018 uphill, probably 2 to 1.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Zach_T

Are the 7010s and 8010s for the root and hot pass and the 8045s for fill an cap?

Well,
I've never heard of 8045s in pipe welding, just saw the youtube vid.

Those guys, "xazel" run 8010 all the way out most times....

Cant speak to the 8045s, like to try a box though.

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Well,
I've never heard of 8045s in pipe welding, just saw the youtube vid.

Those guys, "xazel" run 8010 all the way out most times....

Cant speak to the 8045s, like to try a box though.

~John
John,
Here is the info on the 8045
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/e ... c11001.pdf

I have very little oil field type pipe welding, most of what I do is in the shop with MIG, but I have done 6010 root with 8010 fill and cap with success as well as 6010 root, 7018 cap vertical up.
One benefit or the benefit of downhill or downhand welding is obviously the speed, thus the reason pipelines use it. It is all about how many joints they can get done in a day.
-Jonathan
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

My question would be how do you keep a low Hydrogen rod dry in a pipeline setting. These guys don't stop welding because it's raining or snowing.

@ AKweld,
How did you guys keep your rods dry while you were a pipeliner? Did you guys have a portable rod oven or maybe store your rods in the engine bay on your welder? Just wondering.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Zach_T

Also what does the 8010 beads come out looking like?
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

When I was doing a lot of structural I picked up a portable rod oven that will hold about 70 pounds of rod. When you are talking about beads on a pipeline job they consider the bead to be the root pass. The rest they refer to as either hot pass, fill pass or the cap. Most of the time the bead is done with 6010 but occasionally you see 7010 or 8010 for the bead. All that stuff is up to the engineer.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

AZ,

Have you capped pipe, say 12inch 5g mainline, "downhand "all the way out with say 5/32 8010???
Would you opt, if it was your call, to do a xx10 root and hot, than fill up with xx18???
That's kinda what the OP is asking about....

Len,

I've never been a pipeliner, just been around it a little.

But, from what I've done, in the rain and cold, is just the little rod ovens that a 50lbs boxes of rod fits in....

Set them about 300deg F, and the helper opens and closes the door and hands you rods.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Zac, if you look on youtube, search xazazell?. Pipeline welding, some of his videos show the finished welds.

Mick
Arizona SA200

Hey AK,

I guess up there where you are at and in Canada I guess its more common to see the 8010 bead and hot pass. I am assuming it is due to the cold climate making a 6010 bead more brittle. I have only beaded with 6010 but most of the XX10 rod runs the same so I don't think it would be much different. As for the XX10 bead and hot with a lohy fill you don't see that on the main line because it is a much slower process. They do use that process in plants and compressor stations. I did some work at a nitrogen products facility a while back that was all 6010 up with lohy fill and cap and some even called for a TIG root and hot.

So if it was your call, would you do root to cap with xx10, or fill and cap with xx18???

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Arizona SA200

I prefer the XX10 on pipe so that is what i would go with. I do like to run some XX18 but it just takes a loot longer.