Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Does anyone know how you get structural welding certification? Running into a problem with a project at my buddies place. After we are done and have the structural posts welded to the beams the inspector tells us we need a structural welder to sign off on the welding. He didn't tell us that was needed to begin with. Why after we are almost ready to pour the floor under this structure does he come to us with this requirement. Stupid as all hell imho.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Call up your local community colleg

Or go right to the source https://www.aws.org/certification/CW/
Greg From K/W

Ok thanks I will call the collleg
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Where I'm at, and I can't speak for anywhere else-The local community college doesn't do welding certification. BUT, they can refer you to a local company that does. Just FYI
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Greg From K/W wrote:Does anyone know how you get structural welding certification? Running into a problem with a project at my buddies place. After we are done and have the structural posts welded to the beams the inspector tells us we need a structural welder to sign off on the welding. He didn't tell us that was needed to begin with. Why after we are almost ready to pour the floor under this structure does he come to us with this requirement. Stupid as all hell imho.
Greg,
Don't you love those surprises? Three things I see to fix your dilemma. One, assuming your welds are sound and I am sure they are, bribe a buddy that is certified to come over and inspect your welds and sign off. Two, find a CWI in your area, if he can sign off on it or recommend someone who can. Three, quickly get certified in the process you used. If you have a AWS approved testing lab close to you, it usually only takes 1 week to get results back and no more than 2 weeks to get your AWS cert in the mail.
Some thoughts.
-Jonathan
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

kermdawg wrote:Where I'm at, and I can't speak for anywhere else-The local community college doesn't do welding certification. BUT, they can refer you to a local company that does. Just FYI

Here the two near me will administer the tests and send them off to the lab. It's the easiest way to find a lab near you. Our community colleges use the same test lab as Lincoln.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Here the two near me will administer the tests and send them off to the lab. It's the easiest way to find a lab near you. Our community colleges use the same test lab as Lincoln.
Thats more than our CC does. I asked our instructor while I was taking a TIG class, and he said they don't have anything to do with certifications, but he did refer me to a company in town that did.

He also said that it would cost me around 200 dollars, and no the college didn't provide any kind of monetary aid for it.

Keep in mind too, most welding certs(if not all) only last for 6 months if your not actively using the process, so it might not be worth while to go get a bunch of certs if your only going to be using one process...especially if you have to pay for your own certs.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Greg From K/W

That's a good point Kerm. My buddy has a guy that he was worked with as an outside contractor at his work. But the City is squirming their way out of the process. The welder wants us to get an engineered drawing to cover his rear end and ours. Which the stupid city should have asked for from the beginning. I know I should have known this and I am not sure why I slipped on it.

So I am trying to get hold of the Engineer now that did the design on the posts and see if he can help me out with the post to beam welds.