Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Thekeshik
    Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Im prepping for some 6" schedule40 arc practice and have recently come across a deal on 9.5" remnant pieces.
Im wondering if useing 3" pieces is adequate for coupons or if id be better off just cutting them in half, should I consider having the bevels machined on or just hand grind them, and finally what would some 6010 and 7018 rod choices should I consider?
Thanks guys! ~ Mike in Az
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Mike!

For practice, 3" coupons are fine. (A test will likely be on 10" coupons or better.) When you get closer to a test, cut longer coupons.

I wholeheartedly suggest you grind your own. It'll make you a better welder, and you'll seldom get a machined fit on a job.

As for rod choices, you'll get answers all over the map. For a job test in the field, expect to see Lincoln Fleetweld 5P+ (6010), and Lincoln Excalibur (7018), though other brands appear.

6010 should be stored in a "generally dry" place. Ambient humidity is their friend. 7018 should be kept hot and dry (like you'll find it on a job).

Steve S
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Thekeshik wrote:Im prepping for some 6" schedule40 arc practice and have recently come across a deal on 9.5" remnant pieces.
Im wondering if useing 3" pieces is adequate for coupons or if id be better off just cutting them in half, should I consider having the bevels machined on or just hand grind them, and finally what would some 6010 and 7018 rod choices should I consider?
Thanks guys! ~ Mike in Az
Mike,
If you are just practicing, that any length will be fine, but know that the smaller the test piece, it will get hot faster and can effect your welding greatly. Hand grinding your bevels will be fine but if you need to comply to the WPS you can have them machined.
For the rod choices, that will be determined by the WPS or which ever type of test you are taking.
Edit: Steve beat me.
-Jonathan
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

3" pieces are fine for coupons. You might even be able to get away with 2" pieces. Just remember the less metal you have the faster it's going to heat up, so keep that in mind when your doing your hot pass and fill passes.

As for 6010 and 7018 rods, not really sure what you mean. Size of rod or brand of rod? Most guys swear by 5p 6010 and Lincoln Excalibur 7018 rods. Grab 1/8" and 3/32" in each size..might want some 5/32" as well. Honestly you'll use 1/8" 5p and 3/32 7018 the most, so grab more in those sizes. But having the other sizes is nice to have if your fitup is less than perfect, which it will be in the field.

Bevelling your coupons on a lathe is fine, its much faster than doing it by hand. The only reason I would recommended to do it by hand is because I feel it's important as a welder to know how to fit, and visa versa, and hand cutting and bevelling pipe is an art in and of itself.

edit:basically what the 2 guys before me said. Damn my slow internet.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Thekeshik
    Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks all, Ive been doing aerospace tig work in the valley for the last 16 years or so. I have some family in the local 469 here that have been urging me for years to come join, and while im confident ill be able to pass most of their weld qualifications after I dust off my arc, my general knowledge of plumbing and pipefitting is lackluster. Id likely face an upfront paycut assuming I would need to be an apprentice, but the longterm pay and benefits cant be beat! I wish I had done it years ago (sigh)

In reference to the rod I meant brands, im planning on 1/8th 6010 and 3/32 and 1/8th 7018, just need some general ideas so I can go bargain hunting for some good prices :-) Thanks for the welcome!
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey you a local boy! I was just down in Phoenix this weekend.

Local 469 has a great weld shop and some very good instructors. They will really appreciate your tig certs. What is big down there is your orbital welding, most of their work is at Intel and the other chip plants around town. They also get a bit of work at some of the powerhouses.

Good luck bro might run into you on the job one day :) And don't listen to what anyone says about working at Intel, it's great. I made a lot of money out there and got to work with some great hands.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200