Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
cecilzacheis
    Sat May 03, 2014 11:52 pm

I am an OLD MAN but new to welding. Learning the hard way. Jody spoke about the virtues of 305 electrodes and I haven't found a supplier as of yet. Does anyone know how I could get them? Also, for how long and at what temp should I bake the old rods due to moisture? Help please. Thanks zach
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. I cant recall that particular video, what was the topic of it. 305 electrodes escape me.

Mick
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Can you link us the video???
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I can't think of any rod called 305 - is it possible it was one of many videos where 2 dissimilar materials or unknown alloys were welded & the rod of choice would therefore be 309 ( l ) - just a thought - on the rod drying question many people will have a rod oven that's not got an accurate temperature setting so it's not something that is done very scientifically - but you will find most welding rod packets ( UK anyway ) will have specific drying temperature & time stated - though some like 7018 like to be kept warm / dry all the time ( unless in small quantity vac pacs )
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
cecilzacheis
    Sat May 03, 2014 11:52 pm

I can't see well (had to add a light to my helmet) or hear either so Jody may have said 309. The benefit was to weld dissimilar metals. I found 'Magna 305', made in China has many advantages such as little hydrogen (water) absorption. but no purchase reference. I'll check out 309. Thank you all. Zach
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I say 309 was the one. Thats a good dissimilar steels rod.

As a side note, not really great to trust any electrodes made in China, that are not from a reputible name, (lincoln manufacture in China. )

No worries, if we helped.

Mick:-)
Heavy Metal
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 am

cecilzacheis wrote:I am an OLD MAN but new to welding. Learning the hard way. Jody spoke about the virtues of 305 electrodes and I haven't found a supplier as of yet. Does anyone know how I could get them? Also, for how long and at what temp should I bake the old rods due to moisture? Help please. Thanks zach
It was 309's. 309's (309, 309L, 309H, 309Cb, 309Mo et al...) can only be baked a limited number of times. IIRC, it's no more than three bake cycles, but I don't have my tech sheets in front of me at the moment. So, if you have old rods, rebake for two hours at 575-600F. I'd suggest you rebake if they're wet and use them up. Otherwise, buy new.