Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chadmh91
    Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I have to take a welding test tomorrow, 4 inch carbon steel pipe with stick, can anyone help me & explain how hot my machine should be & what size root opening I should use, I would really appreciate it...
Last edited by chadmh91 on Wed May 28, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

chadmh91 wrote:I have to take a welding test tomorrow, 4 inch carbon steel pipe, can anyone help me & explain how hot my machine should be & what size root opening I should use, I would really appreciate it...

Hey,
Let us know what kind of test???

Stick, Tig???

What "G"????
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
chadmh91

My bad it's an all stick pipe welding test
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Up or down root???

What position???

5g, 6g????
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

chadmh91 wrote:I have to take a welding test tomorrow, 4 inch carbon steel pipe with stick, can anyone help me & explain how hot my machine should be & what size root opening I should use, I would really appreciate it...
Depends on what you are comfertable with. You have been practicing havn't you? What have you been practicing with? Every machine is differant. 80 amps on a miller is not 80 amps on a lincoln.

Really need the WPS of the test. Assuming 6010 root, 7018 fill/cap? 6g?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
chadmh91

Uphill
6g
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Well with the little information we have I have to assume you have never taken a 6G. More than likely it will be a 6010 down/hot pass and 7018 up fill and cap. There should be a WPS to go by. If not here is how I would do it but remember this is personal settings and may not suit you. For the 6010 85-95 amps down, add 10 amps to what ever you decide for root for the hot pass. For cover you can go anywhere from 95-120ish amps again depending on your style and what size rods you will be using. Again this is just me, I know others here do it differently and there is nothing wrong with that. For a gap I go 3/32"-1/8" and match the land. If you have no experience in a test like this, you better practice before you go....a lot.
Here is some videos to help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXDuDCL ... r_embedded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yDSUe ... r_embedded
-Jonathan