Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey guys. First off I've been really thankful for the helpful tips both here and from Jody. I'm in a night welding class in Nashville and am on my 3G stick test (have been hittin it for a month). I'm getting some undercut on my root pass and wondered if anyone could offer any advice. I'm using 1/8" 7018 on about 120 amps crisp on 0. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

You need to pause a little longer on the sides to let the puddle fill more.
You may also have to much rod angle.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I agree with Shield Arc.

Also, on that machine, I like +4 arc-force for 1/8" 7018... Lets me keep the arc a li'l tighter, with lower amps... I like 115 (just a personal preference), and can do it at 105 for pipe. One thing about slightly lower amps with a closer arc, you have a bit more time to watch the toes of the weld fill.

Everyone does it a bit different, so it's a matter of sifting through ideas and finding what works for you. Once you've "got it", you'll wonder why it seemed hard.

Steve S
    Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks fellas. Of course we didn't have class last night so I get to wait till Monday to try out the info ( the teacher chipped slag without glasses and you can guess the outcome ). But the help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk